Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I messed up-used the wrong Reunion version... I entered new information...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I messed up-used the wrong Reunion version... I entered new information...

Ok. So I wasn't very observant the past couple of days and entered some new information into Reunion #1. Then today I evidently opened a different version, Reunion #2, and entered some new information and then discovered I wasn't using the version I thought I had used a few days ago.
    So now I have 2 Reunions and neither one is the one I want to use. Somehow I need to merge them but I don't know how...
    It's tough getting old...
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Originally posted by mrstucci View Post
    Ok. So I wasn't very observant the past couple of days and entered some new information into Reunion #1. Then today I evidently opened a different version, Reunion #2, and entered some new information and then discovered I wasn't using the version I thought I had used a few days ago.
    So now I have 2 Reunions and neither one is the one I want to use. Somehow I need to merge them but I don't know how...
    Before doing anything, I recommend you save a backup of both files. This can be done by copying them onto a flash drive or external hard drive, or by opening each file and choosing File -> Save a Backup Copy and click Save. Another option is to use Time Machine to backup your computer.

Then move forward by importing one family file into the other and using Reunion's match and merge feature to merge the duplicated reocrds into one.

Information on how to import a family file and how to use the match and merge feature can be found in the manual by searching for "import family file" and "match merge," respectively. To access the manual, open a family file and choose Help -> Contents.

I hope you find this information helpful in moving forward

Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

You could find the records that have changed since say 2 days ago (or however long you need to go back to before this happened).

Then Mark those records

Then Export the Marked Records to a new Reunion file - naming the new file clearly so you know which file the people have come from. Make sure the records in this file are all marked

Do this for both files, so you'll have your 2 original files, and 2 small files of changes, each of the small files with all records marked.

Open both small files and see which one has more changes in it - then identify the main file it came from and make this your master file.

Then into this newly designated master file, import the other small file.

You'll now have all the changed records in a single file.

Find all the marked records and see which ones, if any, are completely new records - if you find some of these, unmark them.

Now you'll only have the records that were changed in both files marked.

Do a Match and Merge comparing Marked Records to Marked Records.

That should let you quickly sort out the records that were modified in both files and get all the changes into one record for each person.

You should probably do this using copies of the files, leaving the original files unchanged until you are happy that you've got all the changes into the new master file, then you can delete the previous files, and the small files.

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

UPDATE: Thank you, Roger & Deb for your advice. I got the mess cleared up! Whew. Judy
        2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Working...
        X