Customizing sources with fixed text? Or a better way to cite Irish civil records?

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TomStrong
    Member
    • May 2021
    • 6

    #1

    Customizing sources with fixed text? Or a better way to cite Irish civil records?

    I'm working on some Irish relatives and entering the sources consulted from the online Irish civil records. The Evidence Explained citation for my grandfather's birth record is (according to cite-builder.com):
    Department of Tourism. Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media, "Civil Records," database with images, IrishGenealogy.ie (https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ : accessed 04 April 2024); digital image, George Strong birth registration, born 10 May 1884; citing Group Registration ID 11824091, District of Donegal.

    Other than his name, the birth date, the Group ID, the district, and the access date, all of the text is identical from one source to another.

    Is there any way to have the fixed text always appear in sources of that type? Alternatively, does anyone have a better format for citations of this type? I'm open to switching to something different if it works better, but just putting commas in between the fields doesn't give me a proper citation.
  • eventide
    Member
    • Sep 2005
    • 282

    #2
    Here's what I do. Then I just copy it for the next one using the same format.
    Attached Files

    Comment

    • Bob White
      Member
      • Mar 2005
      • 1724

      #3
      Suggest that using a clip manager app might be appropriate when you have items like Tom where one is just entering different data between fixed text. I have stored clips that would look like:

      Department of Tourism. Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media, "Civil Records," database with images, IrishGenealogy.ie (https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ : accessed DATE; digital image, NAME birth registration, born DATE; citing Group Registration ID NNNNN, District of NAME.

      I paste it in then double click each of the capped words to highlight and type in the data. Been doing this with things like census data for many years.
      ​
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Computer Guy Since 1966 - Happy Octogenerian
      iMac/MacBookAir M4 - iPhone/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

      Comment

      • TomStrong
        Member
        • May 2021
        • 6

        #4
        That's kind of what I was afraid of. I have a few hundred entries where I put in the relevant information, but not all of the fixed parts in between (after all, isn't that what computers are for?). I guess I need to go back and re-edit them all which won't be pleasant.

        Comment

        • Seagram
          Member
          • May 2023
          • 91

          #5
          You could take a look at Raycast (a replacement for Spotlight). It can easily do this with placeholders (parameters) using so-called snippets.

          Comment

          Working...