Incorrect duplicates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect duplicates

I tried to enter a new child {Samuel Joseph McChesney] for parents Joseph and Mary McChesney. Reunion messaged that this was a duplicate for a Joseph McChesney [son of Hugh & Joanna] McChesney. It wouldn't let me do anything but duplicate even though I didn't want to. So now I have duplicate Josephs and when I click on the one under Joseph & Mary it takes me to the one under Hugh & Joanna. I tried removing the duplicate to the clipboard but both entries ended up on the clipboard & I lost the marriage info. So what do I do? I hope you can understand my problem. I've used Reunion for years and years and have never run into a problem like this.
    Sara Bradley Mason
    kywiaz at gmail dot com

The Duplicates window should be popping up when you enter the like name. One of the choices, at the bottom of that window, is Continue Adding a New Person. If you are not getting that choice, you likely should contact Leister's help staff.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Yes, the duplicates window popped up but the options were different. Frankly I was so stumped I can't remember what my choices were or what I did. In the first place I didn't understand why when I tried to enter Samuel Joseph it insisted that Joseph (no Samuel) was a duplicate. Later update: I was able to enter Samuel Joseph but the duplicated Joseph still remains. I can't figure out how to remove it without removing the original Joseph.
      Sara Bradley Mason
      kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

When the duplicate pop-up opens, there are several choices at the bottom of the pop-up window: Disable, cancel, Add the Selected Person (the person Reunion thinks this that's already in your database) or Continue Adding a New Person. If you "Add the Selected Person" you add the existing person to whatever you were trying to do. It is a copy of the existing person.
        If you choose "Continue Adding..." the pop up window will go away and you can go on about your business.
        Sometimes I'm quicker than Reunion, so I'm halfway into doing something else by the time the pop-up opens and I'm typing or dragging a source and then I'm doing who knows what to it.

I was getting the pop up constantly every time I tried to enter someone with the same first initial anywhere in the family line! It turns out you can adjust the sensitivity of what Reunion thinks are duplicates. The Manual inside Reunion has details on how to do it: Click the "?" in the bottom left of your main Reunion screen, type "duplicate" in the search box, and one of the top results should be for "Adjusting the Sensitivity." You can also disable it completely.

Finally, to get rid of duplicate Joseph as a child for Joseph and Mary go to their Family page. Make sure you are on the family page that has Joseph and Mary in the middle with all their parents at the top and the children below, NOT on the page where Joseph-the-duplicate is in the middle! If you drag him to the clipboard from his position as a child of Joseph and Mary, it shouldn't affect any of his other relationships. It sounds like you might have accidentally dragged him to the clipboard when he was the main person in the Family View.

Comment

THANKS! The incorrect Joseph is now gone. Loved your precise instructions. And I changed the sensitivity level. I was aware of the choices in the duplicate pop-up window since I have lots of families that use the same names over and over. Never had this problem before.
          Sara Bradley Mason
          kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

Working...
          X