Source fields where used (usage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source fields where used (usage)

I recently imported a GEDCOM file sourced from RootsMagic Essentials being from a downloaded family tree from Ancestry (I used RootsMagic Essentials since the Ancestry GEDCOM was devoid of any links to images).

My question is how do I find where sources fields are being used?
    I have enclosed a screenshot showing some source field names (circled, e.g. _BIBL for bibliography etc.) but I am not sure which of the many thousand of sources use these, if at all. I tried exporting a GEDCOM file from Reunion but it did not contain any _BIBL, _SUBQ, _TMPLT or SENT tags. It had some DESC (description) tags but not in sources, but as facts.

My thought was to simply delete these extraneous source fields but I thought someone maybe able to advise on how to check where they were used.

Thanks Paul
    Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 8.11.18 am.png

Something to keep in mind if you haven't thought of it already: The fact or events that use the sources that have the suspect source fields may not have been selected for GEDCOM export.

When you do File->Export->GEDCOM... click on the Optional Fields tab in the drop down window used for setting up the export. Look for the suspect tags and click the export box associated with each that you want to show in the GEDCOM file. Make the GEDCOM file. Then open it with TextEdit. Search for the suspect 4-character tags to find what source numbers are using those source fields. The tags may be found associated with a Person Field in an Individual Record, a Family Field in a Marriage Record, or in the Source records towards the end of the GEDCOM file.

In my opinion, if any of the suspect tags are not found in this file you can safely delete them in the Source Settings window.

Comment

Thank you Blaise, that worked. All but the DESCription tags were not used.

Comment

Working...
      X