Source template default field values

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sammc007
    Member
    • Jun 2022
    • 6

    #1

    Source template default field values

    Is there a way to create a custom source template with some fields pre-filled with default values? I create a lot of sources from the same register for example and it would be handy to have a template with that field already completed.
  • RWells
    Member
    • May 2012
    • 110

    #2
    I don't think there is way to have fields with default values but... You could make a shortcut that would enter the default information into each of the fields.

    Comment

    • sammc007
      Member
      • Jun 2022
      • 6

      #3
      Thanks for replying. That was going to be my fallback to at least make sure there was consistency and avoid typos etc.

      Comment

      • bmohr
        Member
        • Mar 2005
        • 150

        #4
        I would suggest using "Duplicate Source" to make a copy of an existing source and edit that. I most often just duplicate an existing (real) source, but I do keep a few around as pure templates that never actually get used in any citations. To make them easily distinguishable from real sources, I prefix the title with "X-" (which also allows me to easily filter my source list to find these "template" sources).
        Brad Mohr
        https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

        Comment

        • suem
          Member
          • Nov 2021
          • 90

          #5
          I Also use duplicate source templates

          Comment

          • sammc007
            Member
            • Jun 2022
            • 6

            #6
            Originally posted by bmohr View Post
            I would suggest using "Duplicate Source" to make a copy of an existing source and edit that. I most often just duplicate an existing (real) source, but I do keep a few around as pure templates that never actually get used in any citations. To make them easily distinguishable from real sources, I prefix the title with "X-" (which also allows me to easily filter my source list to find these "template" sources).
            That's a great idea. So basically, keep some "dummy" sources that represent the equivalent of a template with pre-defined field values, then duplicate and complete the remaining fields as needed. Thanks!

            Comment

            • Michael Talibard
              Member
              • Nov 2006
              • 362

              #7
              In my opinion, you don't need 'dummy' sources. Just navigate to the nearest lookalike, the one that will require fewest changes, and amend that. To facilitate this, you of course need to keep your sources in a usable sequence. Thus, in the two attached examples, only a couple of numbers would need to be amended.

              Sources Screenshots.jpg

              Comment

              Working...