Different documentations for same source fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different documentations for same source fields

I am using Reunion 13. I have several instances where I’ve received information from different sources for the same field, such as birth date. For example, I receive birth information from a particular source (e. g. birth certificate) then I receive birth information from another source with a different birth date. How do I document both pieces of information in Reunion, since I’m not sure which is correct?

You can add another Birth event and put the different information there with its own source.

Or you could write in the Memo field that such and such source says the birthdate is xxxxxx, and then attach both sources to the single birth event, and then in the Detail field for each source say which part of the event data comes from that source.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I like the idea of using the “Memo” field for the additional information. But, I can find no way to put the “Memo” field information in reports, family group sheets, etc. I would like for people to be able to see the differences when I do reports, family group sheets, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by brcox1 View Post
        How do I document both pieces of information in Reunion, since I’m not sure which is correct?
        A very interesting question. In my opinion, it depends on what you consider YOUR role is. Do you think your part in your family's genealogy is to gather as much information as you can, than present the data for others (future others?) to decide (often times, for themselves) what is probably correct? Or do you consider your role as one who will "finally set the record straight" and present what you believe to be what actually happened?

Professional genealogists often have to take the latter role. They look at all the information available and sometimes MUST render the conclusion that they deem to be correct or most probable. They use the concept of "Preponderance of the Evidence" for such decisions, always keeping in mind, however, that the future may bring to light new evidence that may refute their original conclusions. But hey, one works with what one has at the time.

I believe MY role is more the former. If presented, for example, with different birth information from different sources, I make multiple birth events, each supported by their own source, as suggested by Roger Moffat above. I MAY put the one I think most likely true on the top of the list and MAY use the quality of sources to help in that discernment, but that is as far as my decision making goes. The only time I can't do this is for marriage which doesn't allow multiple marriage events (correct me if I am wrong), so I make things clear in the Notes of the marriage event (see attachment). I believe the request for the ability to make multiple marriage events for the same marriage has been made before and I believe allowing it does not violate GEDCOM specification.

Attached Files

Comment

I don't want to make birth (or death, marriage, etc.) events each with their own source. To me that would be VERY CONFUSING to anyone who reads reports, family group sheets, etc., especially if they are relatively new to genealogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
            The only time I can't do this is for marriage which doesn't allow multiple marriage events (correct me if I am wrong),
            I have made another event "Alt Marriage" (actually I have extras here for alternative information, or the event that a couple had 2 weddings (like my brother did for example) that you can add to the Family Events that achieves this purpose. Take a look here at how they come together in the GEDCOM file and so import into TNG as expected

Roger
            Roger Moffat

Comment

So is there no way to put the “Memo” field information in reports, family group sheets, etc?. I would like for people to be able to see the differences when I do reports, family group sheets, etc

Comment

Thanks Roger. I had overlooked the Family Events tab. I don't use TNG, but rather the Reunion Web Cards, so I will see what it looks like on those (I don't think I have ever made any Family Events before). I still would like to see them displayed in the Marriage tab window like the Individual Events do on the family card.

Edit: Roger, yes. The multiple Marriage Events can be displayed on the Person Sheet of the Reunion Web Cards. This is the same as in your web site, they are on the Individual Sheets. However, I also notice on your web site that only one Marriage Event shows on your Family Group Sheet (for the same family). This is the same as the Reunion Family Web Card. I guess getting all the events displayed on the individual Sheet/Card is the best we can do? Only one event will show on the Family Sheet/Card.
                Last edited by Blaise A. Darveaux; 26 February 2023, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brcox1 View Post
                  So is there no way to put the “Memo” field information in reports, family group sheets, etc?. I would like for people to be able to see the differences when I do reports, family group sheets, etc
                  I am mostly familiar with the Web Project reports which produce the web cards. You can have Person sheets display Misc. Notes and Event Memo fields if the Misc. Notes and the events are included in the Layout that you have chosen for the report to be made with. I don't think they can be shown on the Family Card, however. "Misc. Notes" is not listed in the items that can be included in the Family Card layout and the Event memos don't show, even if the Event is showing.

For the Family Group Sheet report (different than the Family Card), Misc. Notes can be displayed for Person AND Family if they are chosen in the Layout that you choose for the report.
                  Last edited by Blaise A. Darveaux; 26 February 2023, 09:24 PM.

Comment

A very interesting question. In my opinion, it depends on what you consider YOUR role is. Do you think your part in your family's genealogy is to gather as much information as you can, than present the data for others (future others?) to decide (often times, for themselves) what is probably correct? Or do you consider your role as one who will "finally set the record straight" and present what you believe to be what actually happened?
                    Neither of these exactly in my case. Present family members, knowing that I have all this genealogy stuff, occasionally ask me a question, but none of them would take the trouble to check it. And sadly, with no grandchildren, I have little or no expectation of 'future others' being interested. But still, I want to know it all for my own satisfaction. I have only very rarely found contradictory sources for a birth date, but my action would be to use the one which looks to me more likely and put the other in a note.

Comment

However, I also notice on your web site that only one Marriage Event shows on your Family Group Sheet (for the same family). This is the same as the Reunion Family Web Card. I guess getting all the events displayed on the individual Sheet/Card is the best we can do? Only one event will show on the Family Sheet/Card.
                      Yes, I guess that's a downside of this - the Family Group Sheet is often a pretty rigidly structured document, so many many extra things probably get missed, but I will make contact with the author of TNG and see if he can't add those items.

Roger
                      Roger Moffat

Comment

Working...
                      X