Multi Media share links to cloud services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi Media share links to cloud services

I'm considering using a cloud service to store multi media files. If I have a share link to a folder in a service, like DropBox, Google Drive or Google Photos, will that work if I paste that link in the multimedia preferences list in Reunion?

Interesting. What happened when you tried it?
    Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

It looks like Reunion will only allow a multi media search folder to be local to the computer, which would include a dropbox folder. If I could have a folder on the mac and somehow redirect the folder to an external share link (e.g., a google docs folder), it might work. Does anyone know how to do that?

Comment

There are applications that will allow you to mount cloud storage as a local folder. Start with Mountain Duck and CloudMounter -- there are others.

For the record, I think you will find that Leister/Reunion doesn't support or recommend any cloud other than Dropbox.
        Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

I have all of my photos (people and documents) in my iCloud drive. I have been doing this for a couple of years now with no problems. MY family file remains in Dropbox while the space consuming images are on iCloud drive.
          Tom Brown

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Kirk. Tom, you've given me a good idea on how to configure storage if I have enough in iCloud.

Comment

I use Dropbox to be able to access files from two different computers, my iPhone and iPad. I have one folder called Reunion Files which holds my family file, and subfolders called Charts, Reports and Reunion Pictures. The last folder is where I put all my multimedia. Dropbox allows you to choose whether to store the files locally (while also backing them up to the cloud and keeping them all in sync) or make them "online only" (which removes them from your local drive but leaves a link so you can easily download and open them on demand). If you want to save space on your local drive and don't mind a short wait to download files, use the "online only" feature. I have enough room to have all my Reunion Files set to "make available offline" for quicker access.
              Steve Thomas
              iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Steve. I'll look into that.

Comment

Where is the option to store files "online only"?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Haygood View Post
                    Where is the option to store files "online only"?
                    If the file is in Dropbox and stored locally (green checkmark icon) but you don't want it to be, right-click (or control-click) the file and choose "make online-only". If the file is in Dropbox and not stored locally (grey cloud icon) but you want it to be, right-click and choose "make available offline".
                    Steve Thomas
                    iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

I have both my family file and my multi-media file on dropbox and have no problem. That allows me to use them interchangeably on my desktop and my laptop. They are both in a folder labeled Genealogy. The multi-media folder is a sub-folder of that. The family file is simply in the genealogy folder. Just be sure to identify the folder in your preferences.

Comment

Working...
                      X