Dropbox for Mac os12 - now available.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropbox for Mac os12 - now available.

I've just been informed that Dropbox has an update for Mac os12. A quick look at the details seems to say you must use iCloud Storage and that your folder/files will be moved to ~/Library/CloudStorage.
    Has anyone done this and are there any problems with this move. At the moment I don't use iCloud Storage
    iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Something is wrong here. Dropbox is a competitor of Apple's iCloud service. There is no way that Dropbox is ever going to force you to use iCloud.
    Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

Agree with KirkS, but the proof that this is total bunk is MacOS is now at 16----a far cry from 12. Whoever "informed" you is, well, you fill in the blank!
      rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

My iMac is using Ver. 12.6 Monterey -which I understand is the latest version - not seen Apple updating the OS to V.16 yet. The notification came from Dropbox with a "red" dot on the menu bar icon for d/box
        iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Mac OS 12 (Monterey) is the latest version. Of Mac OS 10, 10.15 was the last. Release of Mas OS 13 (Ventura) is still to be determined.

My Macs are all too old to use Mac OS 12 so I can't comment on the original poster.
          Last edited by Blaise A. Darveaux; 29 September 2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
            Agree with KirkS, but the proof that this is total bunk is MacOS is now at 16----a far cry from 12. Whoever "informed" you is, well, you fill in the blank!
            OOPS!! I mistakedly got info on Safari instead of Mac OS. In any case, no iCloud.
            I'll take the 50 lashes with a wet noodle!
            rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

How do I stop Dropbox from trying to get me to update? I still have a red dot (with fig 1) showing on the menu bar icon. Have been thru the preferences without finding a "turn off "button.
              I don't have D/Box checked in iCloud Drive on my iMac

Comment

To get rid of the red dot in the menu bar, try this. Go to Dropbox.com and log in. Click on the question mark with a circle around it in the top right hand corner. Select "What's new" from the pull down menu, then click on the the one that is causing the alert. Like Visine the eyedrops, that should make the red go away.

Comment

Sorry Blaise that didn't work. I also deleted the D/B app from the menu bar and then re-installed it only for the update red spot to re-appear. Have been thru the D/Box details on the webb but no success.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
                    To get rid of the red dot in the menu bar, try this. Go to Dropbox.com and log in. Click on the question mark with a circle around it in the top right hand corner. Select "What's new" from the pull down menu, then click on the the one that is causing the alert. Like Visine the eyedrops, that should make the red go away.
                    Question for Alan: Following further on Blaise's information.... Were there multiple items in the What's New list? I am under the impression that it only holds three summaries; if there are more than three, it will add a More What's New choice at the bottom. That needs to be selected. It takes one to another page to "see" the remainders and clear the red dot now because you have "seen" all of the messages. I'm not 100% certain; my comments are based on what I just saw. (I just did this. I had a red dot. Three were listed plus the More choice. When I selected More, upon going to that page, the red dot disappeared. I had five summaries total.)
                    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I think if you look carefully at the notice it says '~/Library/CloudStorage' - not 'iCloud Storage' - this is not moving your data folders themselves to iCloud (a revival service that is not owned by DropBox) but rather some of the files that the dropbox client uses to work to a location on your hard drive that is under your user Library.

To see that folder open finder, click on 'Go' in the tool bar at the top and hold down the option key - the icon for Library will appear.

That said I use both DropBox and I am on 12.4 and I don't have any files in that location - but then I only use the toolbar widget, not the dropbox application.

So no need to have any iCloud storage, no need to worry, just upgrade.
                      Last edited by Myles O; 30 September 2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Myles; You correct in saying its ~/cloud storage. When one looks at it quickly it appears as "icloudStorage" with my ageing eyes.

However, in tinkering around with d/box I must have inadvertently updated the app. There is no choice as far as I can see to Not Update. Having done so, the file where all my ancestry documents etc. are kept are now located in; Users>Library>Cloudstorage>Dropbox>myfile.
                        On re-opeing Reunion, I had fright as there were no individuals listed and people were all "unnamed" - whilst trying to update the location of my file in Reunions preferences, all seemed to correct itself.
                        I tried putting my family file back into the sidebar, (where i had it before) but that does not work.
                        If anyone can suggest quick alternatives to the cloudstorage location, I would like to hear.

Comment

Working...
                        X