RM8 to Reunion13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RM8 to Reunion13

OK, think I have finally given up on RM8 native Mac version, so looking at Reunion13. I have created a gedcom from RM8 and successfully imported into Reunion 13. All of my multimedia links verified (122K+). My RM8 db has 36K+ people; sources - 1584; citations - 82,673; almost 111K events.

What I am noticing is sources and citations very different and I will need to revamp RM8 info into Reunion13. So please forgive me as I pester everyone with my questions - just want to make this conversion is as painless as possible.

I plan to create create Sources following Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Miller. I have her templates.

Question, should I create a barebones db with just myself and create all the Sources before I import my gedcom file?

Question, my RM8 Census sources was created with a naming convention like Census, US 1870, PA, Bedford County. Each state/county had their own source name. For 1870, I have 15 sources for 15 counties in PA. In Reunion, should I just use the generic Census source template, but in the Fields area enter the title and locality for each county? If I have just one source for 1870 Census, can I reuse that generic Census source for different locations - state/counties? I watched a video that showed me how to enter specific information in Census for the detail information.

I'm pretty sure I will have to revisit all my Census entries to edit to meet Reunion13 format. I'm just not sure how to handle all my Census entries and would entertain best solution. I know this will take time, but once I have this conquered I feel I can handle my other records, such as death, birth, marriage.

I hope I'm making sense with my questions. I've spent over 5 years with RM7 and its Mac wrapper, but the native Mac RM8 has me dealing with many crashes daily. Once I get things corrected and functioning I am so looking forward to utilizing my iPad for my on-the-go needs.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback.

lolo - I did almost the same thing about 1 1/2 years ago. I am glad I did. I came from RM7 as I could never keep RM8 running without problems. I still have RM8 and look at it ever so often but I would not go back. The sources were the main problem as they came over as free format and I decided to convert them as I have time. I only use one Source template. Here is the notes I used.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, RWells, I'm thinking of bringing everything over without sources, then creating sources and adding as I go. I'm a RM8 database as when I purchased my new MacBookPro Nov 2021 I did not want to bring RM7 wrapper garbage to my new laptop. I can easily group required edits as I go. Yes, everything came over as free format too. Just happy all my media links are okay.

So you have one Census Source template and make changes in the Title and locality fields - that is where Reunion will see each Census year and location. Then I can edit the detail area to add additional information?

Comment

I have just one source template for all sources. See sample
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, that helps much - I'm a visual person. Wish I would have gone Reunion in 2015 but it just looked so difficult to me but most probably because I was a FTM at that time - then I was looking for any software that did not sync with Ancestry as I was tired of cleaning up after both parties implemented an update. Hindsight - LOL

Comment

Working...
          X