How to create frequently used sources with some fields pre-filled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create frequently used sources with some fields pre-filled

As I enter new events based on Ancestry.com hints, I find that I'm adding new sources with much of the same information in the fields as previous frequently used sources. Is it possible to create source templates that have some of their fields already filled in, to avoid typing the repetitive information for each new source?
    Steve Thomas
    iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

The way I handle that is to use a text expander and have it fill in all of the boilerplate which includes fields. For some of the my templates text expander will allow me to pause for user input and then I can enter the not common fields.

Comment

Originally posted by RWells View Post
      The way I handle that is to use a text expander and have it fill in all of the boilerplate which includes fields. For some of the my templates text expander will allow me to pause for user input and then I can enter the not common fields.
      Thanks, I will look into this. Hoping it was possible within Reunion, though.
      Steve Thomas
      iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

You can't create a new source with "some" of the information filled in, but what you can do is Duplicate an existing source of the right type, and then change only that which needs changing - eg Place, or File Name or...

Highlight the chosen source in the Source list and press Command-D to Duplicate it, then double click it to open it and make the needed changes.

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I always do what Roger suggests here—duplicate and amend. And not just in the context of Reunion sources: it is a good repetition-avoidance strategy for many situations. Of course, one has to be sure to do the amending.

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
            You can't create a new source with "some" of the information filled in, but what you can do is Duplicate an existing source of the right type, and then change only that which needs changing…
            Thanks for the suggestion, Roger. Since I normally add sources as I’m adding new events in the person view, it would be helpful to be able to duplicate a source on that same screen, without having to go to a separate sources list, duplicate an existing source, and then return to the event screen to attach the new source.
            Steve Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by thomprod View Post
              ...it would be helpful to be able to duplicate a source on that same screen...
              In case you weren't aware, you can duplicate a source via the Sources sidebar without leaving the Events screen -- just open that sidebar (from the list of Sidebars at bottom-left), click to select a source, and press Command+D on your keyboard. Or, Control+Click/Right-Click on a source in that sidebar and select Duplicate from the menu that opens.

You can then drag the newly created source onto the event in question to cite it.

HTH
              Mark Harrison
              Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

In case you weren't aware, you can duplicate a source via the Sources sidebar without leaving the Events screen...
                Very helpful! Thanks, Mark.
                Steve Thomas

Comment

Working...
                X