Combining 2 Family Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combining 2 Family Files

I have 2 Family Files that I want to combine - one person in one file has married someone in the other file.

I understand the instructions how to do this, however I am not sure what will happen to the Source list and Source templates. I have about 3000 sources in one file, and about 500 in the other. The source templates are a little different in each.

What will happen here? Will the source list renumber itself to accommodate the extra sources, or will I have 2 sources numbered #350, for example?
    And will the Source templates from the "incoming" files simply be added to the "destination" file?

Has anyone any experience with this?

Thanks!

Teresa

Teresa Collis

ex-Roots, ex-UFT, ex-TMG
    Reunion for Mac 13.0 (build 221018)
    Reunion Touch for iPad 1.0.18
    (macOS Ventura 13.1)

Originally posted by Teresa C View Post
    What will happen here? Will the source list renumber itself to accommodate the extra sources, or will I have 2 sources numbered #350, for example?
    The sources from the file that you import will be assigned new source numbers, starting with the first available source number. Existing sources will not be renumbered, and imported sources will not retain their old source numbers.

In other words: if you have 3000 sources in the file you're importing into, with the last source having source #3000, then the first source from the file you import will be given source #3001.

And will the Source templates from the "incoming" files simply be added to the "destination" file?
    Any source templates that are used in the imported data, and do not already exist in the file you're importing into, will be added to the source templates of that file.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks, Mark!

One additional question regarding templates.
      If I have a template in the 'incoming' file that has the same name as a template in the 'destination' file (e.g. Military Document), but the fields are different, will the template be added, or does Reunion assume that if the name of the template is the same then the content must be the same?

Cheers,
      Teresa

Teresa Collis

ex-Roots, ex-UFT, ex-TMG
      (macOS Ventura 13.1)

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa C View Post
        ..will the template be added, or does Reunion assume that if the name of the template is the same then the content must be the same?
        No new template will be added, and the existing template won't be changed. However, the sources imported will retain the fields and content of the source.

For example, if the file I'm importing into has a template called "Military Document" with the field "Title", and the imported file has a template called "Military Document" with the field "Author", after the import the "Military Document" template will have just the field "Title", but the imported sources will retain the field "Author" with its content.
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Got it - thanks so much Mark!
          Teresa Collis

ex-Roots, ex-UFT, ex-TMG
          (macOS Ventura 13.1)

Comment

Working...
          X