Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import and New Family Files functions not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import and New Family Files functions not working?

So I downloaded a Gedcom file of my Ancestry tree and want to incorporate it into my Reunion tree, however when selecting "New Family File" absolutely nothing happens. When choosing "Import/Gedcom", I get a blurb about "The family file blah blah blah" and then upon selecting "Add..." absolutely nothing happens–no dialog box, nothing whatsoever. Dragging and dropping the Gedcom file onto the Reunion icon also does nothing. Any ideas? Should I just delete the Reunion preferences? (I was looking for them but can't find them.)
    Last edited by comefromaway; 09 January 2022, 06:32 PM.
    Researching Allens of Yeovil and Worcester; Grahams of Liverpool; Green of London (Lambeth)

Originally posted by comefromaway View Post
    Any ideas?
    Yes. If you are running a relatively new macOS, please try this...

Click on the Apple icon and select System Preferences… , Security & Privacy, Privacy.

In the left column of the Privacy Preferences window, select Full Disk Access (you may need to scroll down to see it).

Then click the padlock icon at bottom-left and enter your macOS password so you can make changes.

Finally, use the + at the bottom of the list of apps on the right and add Reunion 13 to that list.

Then try creating a new Reunion 13 family file again and see if the problem persists.

I hope you find this information helpful in getting up and running in Reunion 13 on your Mac. However, if problems continue, please let us know what happens and we'll go from there.

Thanks
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Hi Deb

Thanks for your rely. I may have given the impression that I'm a new user, however I've been using Reunion since 2005. I don't recall having any big issues with it until now. It quit as I was importing a small jpeg to attach to a relative, and it would not open the family file after that. Upon relaunching Reunion the family file did not appear under File/Open Recent; when choosing File/Open simply nothing happened– no dialog box, nothing.

Following the instructions at Help/Manual/Technical Support & Help I rebuilt the cache files as well as deleted the Reunion Preferences folder. Upon relaunching Reunion, it made no difference–when Choosing File/Open, or File/Open Recent, nothing happened.

I then followed your instructions above and was able to open the family file, however I still cannot create a New family file: when going to File/New Family File, absolutely nothing happens. If I choose Import/Gedcom it wants to add the Gedcom file to my existing family file, (which I don't want to do, I should be able to create a new, empty family file but cannot) but as an experiment, I did indeed proceed with Import/Gedcom, got the dialogue box saying it would add files, etc. and when I clicked on Add just for the hell of it– absolutely nothing happened.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss.
      Last edited by comefromaway; 10 January 2022, 05:14 PM.
      Researching Allens of Yeovil and Worcester; Grahams of Liverpool; Green of London (Lambeth)

Comment

Out of curiosity, when in the "New Family File" window...

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 12.27.55 PM.png

...what location is selected to which that file should be saved?

I.e., is it in the Users/<home>/Documents/Reunion Files folder? Is it in iCloud Drive?

And, is your existing family file in that same location?

This information may provide some clue.

Thanks
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
        X