Windows jump around the screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows jump around the screen

I'm using Reunion 13 (build 211116) with macOS Monterey on a 13in 2017 MacBook Pro, using the default screen resolution. I have the main and Sources windows open and use the Sources window to bring up individual sources so I can attach them to the event of an individual. The windows jump around the screen so that I am constantly having to reposition them which is very annoying and surely not the correct behaviour. What is likely to be causing this and is there a solution, please?

By any chance, do you have a third party app that gives you control over window positioning/splitting/etc...? In lots of years of support, I have mainly seen your problem being a case of such an app's preferences getting corrupted. Generally speaking, the solution is quit the app, dive into the Preferences folder, delete the pref file for that app and, finally, launch the app. (Macintosh HD > Users > YourName > Library > Preferences; most pref files will be named com.xxx with the xxx being the name of the app.)

Whenever one launches an app for the first time, it builds a preferences file. If one then sets a non-default choice, it modifies that file. I'm explaining this so that you know that you may have to make those other choices again. Of course, this procedure invokes the first time procedure.

This might not be your problem but this is the most common fix. Next most likely is a video card problem; professional help needed for that.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hi Bob. Thanks for your comments and advice. As far as I know I don't have any apps that control window positioning but I do have a couple of "cleaning" apps - CleanMyMac and Malwarebytes - and wonder if they might be the cause. However, I have to say that Reunion has been much better behaved today so I'm rather puzzled as I've not knowingly changed any settings that might have improved matters. I'll keep an eye on things and if I have any further problems I'll re-post with further details.

Comment

Malwarebytes is white hat and is not a cleaning app. It looks for incoming bad guys, so to speak, and then either destroys or puts up a warning box for you to see. Everyone should install it and let it run in the background 100% of the time that the computer is running.

However, I have seen CleanMyMac and like apps make huge messes of Macs way too many times. A couple of friends who do Mac consulting make good money cleaning up those messes.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks for the warning. Clean My Mac now deleted!

Comment

Working...
          X