Logs Folder importing data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logs Folder importing data

I think the Logs folder is a really good option for documenting research that is not person specific. I'd really like to use it to bring all my existing research projects together in one place. But I'm not sure it is designed for that? I can't see any way to import word/text files or multimedia. I know I can add Web Links. But I'd like to bring in the research I have on my hard drive. At the moment, I have stuff on hard drive and also use a couple of well known note taking programs. Wouldn't it be great to have it all in one place. At the moment, the only option I can find for documenting say, surname and/or place history, is to add it to someone with the surname/place in their profile. But then I can't necessarily remember it is there! Any suggestions? Can I make a link between Logs and a person profile or family card?

Why not just copy and paste the text in question for your surname or place history into Logs?
    Logs is a surprisingly versatile feature.
    I've never needed to yet but seeing your post, I've just copied and pasted several paragraphs of text in to logs - I have a log for each of several different surnames.
    So now i know I can easily import text. I did that from Word so I'm guessing it would work from any program which would support copying and pasting. Hopefully this would work from Evernote and similar note taking apps. Not sure that a formatted spreadsheet worksheet would copy across, but at least i now know that I can import text when I need to
    Rupert Cuddon-Large ; Lives in Jersey
    Using R12 on iMac 2013, running Catalina; RTouch on iPad
    Researching Large; Cuddon; Fletcher; Ford; Gadsdon; Reynolds and Christian

Comment

Hi Rupert
      Yes, I could copy and paste (and I’ve done that with small files) but for larger files I’d have a great deal of text to scroll through. At the moment I have separate folders (on hard drive) for various subjects within say a Place or Surname folder. And webclips in Evernote and another program full of Notes!
      This is making me rethink how I store everything. My current system is ok but it takes a while to find things because of the long path field on hard drive; or searching through the other bits of software.
      Would be great if the Logs folder could combine all those elements, but think I’m asking too much!.
      Just wondering what everyone else does.
      I don’t have a very tidy mind… hence a not very tidy digital system.

Comment

Originally posted by janelucas View Post
        Can I make a link between Logs and a person profile or family card?
        Yes, if I am understanding what you are asking. Reunion 13 includes a new feature we call "connections."

Information about connections and how to use connections in Reunion 13 can be found in your manual. To access it, open your family file and choose Help -> Contents. Then search for "connections." It explains how to make a connection and includes some samples.

I hope you find this information helpful
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you Deb.
          Yes, to some extent the 'Connections' option provides a very helpful way of cross referencing. I had misunderstood the manual on the first read through. I thought connections needed to be from unrelated people. But I now realise hat anyone in the family file can be added to the Logs folder, which is great.

So, do I understand that the only place to add text documents (eg Word, PDF) or web clips/newspapers and other multimedia is the Multimedia folder of an individual's profile page/card ??(sorry, don't know what is official called.)

Comment

Originally posted by janelucas View Post
            So, do I understand that the only place to add text documents (eg Word, PDF) or web clips/newspapers and other multimedia is the Multimedia folder of an individual's profile page/card ??(sorry, don't know what is official called.)
            Yes. Documents like PDF files and Word files are linked like other multimedia items (pictures, videos, and audio files).

Deb Stuller
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
            X