Sources / reference (citations)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sources / reference (citations)

I am digitalizing all the documents I have on paper to be able to upload them in Reunion, In the early times I would give that document a number (and keep an overview in Excel) and then gave in the Notes (notitie) tab of a specific person the numbers which related to documents where that person's name is mentioned (so for instance birth cerficiate, death of wife, announcements, etc.).

I presume this is what you call Citations?

Where do you put those Citations?
    Source documents for birth, death, and the like (the standard fields in Reunion) I ofcourse would put in the related source section but what about the death certificate of f.i. a partner where also other names are listed.
    If added in the general source field they end up as ref. nr next to the persons name. Meaning that if you have 100 source docs related to that person it will be very crowded

I now opted to add a reference field (verw#) to the person environment in the tab Note (notitie) where I move the source to (so there only the source nr is shown in superscript).
    Is that a way to go?

Hope you understand my questions (always difficult to translate Dutch Reunion to English Reunion.

MJ

When you attached a Source to an Event or Fact, that instance of the attachment is a Citation - you Cite the Source to support a statement (event, fact, name, etc). To the right of the Source Citations is a field for Details - where you can clarify on what basis you are citing this Source.

For example, supposed Jan Huppeldepup was married in November 1868 and in the Marriage Act is it stated that he was 34 years old and born in Minasoussa. You could use these two snippets to populate his Birth information with a year (1834) and a place (Minasoussa). In the Citation Detail, you would clarify you are using the information in the Marriage Act to support the estimate of his year of birth and his place of birth ("year of both and place of birth")

In the same vein, you could add an Alias record for Jan Huppeldepup to support the spelling of his name. In the past, names were often misspelled on official documents. Suppose in March 1870, when Jan Huppeldepup was 35, he gave birth to a child and his name was quoted as Jan Hupperdepup. The Alias fact would reflect that spelling of his name, the cited Source is the Birth Act of his son and the Citation Detail would read "spelling of name". (You could also Cite the Birth Act for Jan's birth with Citation Detail "year of birth estimate", noting in Birth Memo that his date of is estimated between March 1834 and November 1834)

Similarly, a Book would be a single Source. When Citing that Source, in the Citation Detail you would highlight specifically the page with the relevant information.

Sources should be cited at the point where their information is relevant - usually to support an Event, a Fact or the spelling of a Name. I use General Source Citations sparingly. Examples include: referencing the person on someone else family tree website, or for Bevolkingsregister documents. Ie. typically for information that is not fully qualified (Bevolkingsregister information is derivative).
    --
    Eric Van Beest
    Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

Looking at the post of mr. Orion, I have the impression that mr. Orion is a Dutch user.
      If so, might be that the document 'Handreiking bronvermeldingen’ could be helpful.
      You can find this document at CQ-Software: https://www.cq-software.nl/wp-conten...rmeldingen.pdf
      We have also a 'bunch of FAQ's', that could be useful.

Frans van Bodegom
      Reunion NL Support Team
      Frans van Bodegom
      Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

haha Mr. Orion is a Mrs Orion and I have read the document re bronvermeldingen but it does not really mention what I am trying to accomplish. Mr. Huppeldepup is born (birth certificate present). On this birth certificate also his parents Mrs Huppeldepup and Mr. Huppelepup Senior are listed. I would like to also list this birthcert. source on the personal pages of Mrs Huppeldepup and Mr. Huppeldepup Sr. (I want to be able to get an complete overview of all the sources where a specific persion is mentioned. So I added a VERW# field and there I ' move' the source to, which then only shows as a Superscript nr (source nr).

Comment

Working...
        X