Importing ONE huge source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing ONE huge source

Is there a way to duplicate one huge source from one family file into another family file? I don't want to merge the two family files, I simply do not want to be forced to manually copy the whole thing in order to use it in the second family file.

Depends. What type of source? Copy & Paste? Screen Shot? Explain further.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by G.E.R.R.Y. View Post
      Is there a way to duplicate one huge source from one family file into another family file? I don't want to merge the two family files, I simply do not want to be forced to manually copy the whole thing in order to use it in the second family file.
      Create a fictional person in the file with the huge source, and link that source to him.

Then Export a Reunion Family file for only that person, and include sources

Import that 1 person/1 source Reunion family file into your other family file

Then delete that 1 fictional person

The source should stay behind - to make sure, link the source to someone else before you delete the fictional person.

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
        Create a fictional person in the file with the huge source, and link that source to him.

Then Export a Reunion Family file for only that person, and include sources

Import that 1 person/1 source Reunion family file into your other family file

Then delete that 1 fictional person

The source should stay behind - to make sure, link the source to someone else before you delete the fictional person.
        You should be able to skip the export step and just import directly into the second family file. Create the fictional person and link the source, then mark only that person and unmark everyone else in the file. In the second file, go to File > Import > Reunion Family File and choose "Marked people" and "Cited sources." When the import is complete, delete the fictional person.
        Brad Mohr
        https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

I, for one, would, please, like to see a screen shot of a source description that is so huge that it is overly laborious to duplicate in another file. The only way that would be, in my mind, is if it used so many fields to describe the source itself (I'm thinking, 10 - 50 fields) that even cutting and pasting would take more than a few minutes. If that is the case, does any source need that many fields of description? I don't think I've ever used more then 7 or 8 fields.

(I am distinguishing between the source description that you enter into Reunion that forms the citation that is applied to person record(s), as opposed to the source itself, (like the file of a book or newspaper) that contains the information about the person/people.)

Comment

Thank you one and all for the advice.

Comment

Working...
            X