Showing DNA matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Showing DNA matches

Is there an easy way to simply color tag someone who is a DNA match? When I go to select a color tag, the rules are all preset and I can't add my own rule for the DNA connection.

A solution would be to create a flag called "DNA Match." After assigning that flag to the appropriate person/people, a color tag to that particular checked "DNA Match" flag. Information about creating/using a flag can be found in your manual by searching for "add flag." To access the manual, open your family file and choose Help -> Contents or click the "?" in the lower-left corner of just about any Reunion window.

Additional information about using flags with color tags can be found in your manual by searching for "flags tags."

I hope you find this information helpful
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

I'm just starting think about this. When you say "color tag someone who is a DNA match?" - what do you mean ? to you ? someone who's tested ? For me, I'd like to know that 2 people are DNA matches to each other. I settled on "DNA match to me", but that seems lacking .....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Deigan View Post
        I'm just starting think about this. When you say "color tag someone who is a DNA match?" - what do you mean ? to you ? someone who's tested ?
        My response was under the impression that the DNA Match would be only those who have the DNA Match with you.

Originally posted by Mike Deigan View Post
        ...For me, I'd like to know that 2 people are DNA matches to each other. I settled on "DNA match to me", but that seems lacking .....
        Yes. Unless you create a different flag and color tag for each set of DNA matches, you would end up with a listing of everyone who has a DNA match to someone with that same flag and color tag.

Perhaps a better suggestion in this case would be to make use of Reunion's Connections feature? If two or more people a DNA match you could make a note of that DNA Match in the Notes field and "connect" the other person/people dragging the name(s) from the sidebar on the right. It would appear as a clickable link in the Notes and you could specify that there is a DNA match between those two people. Also, you could list all of the Connections, which would show the two people connected and how they are connected. Additional information about using the Connections feature in Reunion 13 can be found in the manual by searching for "connections." To access the manual, open your family file and choose Help -> Contents or click the "?" in the lower-left corner of just about any Reunion window.

Here are some screen shots I did as a test... Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.17.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.15.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.16.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.16.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.17.15 PM.png

This may be a better way to do what you are wanting
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

I'll have to think on it, but maybe Reunion isn'y the place to do all the cross references. I wouldn't mind a canned feature that just showed me the average DNA % matched between the Source and any person (1st Cousin should be 12.5% to me, etc). If it could be built into the Connections chart that could be nice. And a Field in the chart where I would type in the actual % match I got to them.

Comment

I use a flag, but I only attach it to the actual match, or a separate one where matches are to my daughter. Most of my matches which total over 15k are not even included in Reunion as I have no idea where they fit in. There are even more matches to my daughter which are chugging towards 18k now

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Knight View Post
              I use a flag, but I only attach it to the actual match, or a separate one where matches are to my daughter. Most of my matches which total over 15k are not even included in Reunion as I have no idea where they fit in. There are even more matches to my daughter which are chugging towards 18k now
              I just hope Reunion 14 will add more DNA-related features. Things like adding DNA match info (including quantifying them), haplogroup tracking, and recording test info (with or without raw data).
              Benoit Bousquet
              Reunion 14

Comment

I guess in my perfect world, I would have a Flag that was "Has Taken DNA test". Then that person that would be added to an ongoing matrix that had all other people with that Flag. I could then just enter the %, cM, segments that those 2 people had to each other in the box(s) of intersection in the matrix. The matrix box would/could be prefiled with the Relationship Reunion calculates, and what the "average" match should be. I'd be able to dump the matrix into Excel.

Comment

I too look forward to more DNA-related features in an upcoming version of Reunion. I would like somewhere to note how many cMs I have in common with my matches.
                  Thank you Deb for the lengthy and excellent explanation of how to use Connections. I didn't know what that was until today. I will use it for DNA, as most of my matches are in Islands. I don't know who my father was, but I have many 2nd cousin matches. So i am now researching my matches' great-grandapents and try to figure something out. Connecting them to each other and me will help.

Comment

Working...
                  X