create a tree for my son showing his 7 foster sons AND their birth parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

create a tree for my son showing his 7 foster sons AND their birth parents

Can anyone suggest a work around to show both relationships. The need is urgent as 3 of these foster sons have just returned from Afghanistan with their fiancées and the family wants to display all relationships. Some of the birth families include not only parents but siblings but cousins and others. They will be meeting new relatives in the foster families. Any suggestions will be helpful before I enter too much data.

You've probably run into the fact that Reunion is only going to chart the family that includes the preferred parents.

My recommendation is to enter all the data, including linking both sets of parents for each of the foster children. Make the adoptive parents the preferred parents and make a chart of that family. This centralizes all the children. Then change the parent preferences to the birth parents and make a separate chart for each of those families.

Copy and paste each separate chart into the main chart, and Edit>Add Shape>Line to connect each foster son in the adoptive family to himself in his birth family. There's no clean way to do what you want, but this should show how everyone is connected with the least amount of fuss and confusion.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Thank you Tim. I can't even see how I can enter birth parents for these boys, once I have entered them as foster sons. Can you tell me how to do that?

Comment

Tim. I believe I solved that problem with "duplication."

Comment

You don't want to add duplicate people, in case that's what you've done. If you put a foster child in the center of the Family View, you can click on the plus sign above him and add another father and add another mother. Now, no one is duplicated, but the child is linked to multiple parents. Once that's done, you can go to the drop down menu in the person button in the Family View (click on down arrow on right side of button), go to Edit Parents, and change which set is preferred for the purposes of navigation in the family file and which to use for charts.
          Tim Lundin
          Heartland Family Graphics
          http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
          X