Conflicting Family Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conflicting Family Files

I've started getting a message about conflicting family files. The message says there are multiple copies of my family file and then asks which one to keep. The two files listed have identical information but the "last modified" date is not correct when compared to the actual file in the Finder (which says Aug 28, 2021 11:08 AM). Unfortunately, the info in the window does not tell me where the files are located so I don't know which one to select. I don't actually have multiple copies of my family file on my system. I keep my file on Dropbox and there is only one in that location so I don't know why I'm even getting this message. I've tried launching Reunion first and also tried double-clicking my family file with Reunion closed.

Can anyone give me some help on how to proceed? I'm thinking I need to make a copy of the family file so I don't suffer some kind of data loss, but then I really WILL have two family files on my system!

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 8.41.36 PM.png

Start by locating your data. Open Reunion. On the menu bar, click Reunion, then Preferences, then Folders.
    Mine looks like this; yours will vary, but it will tell you where your Family Files are located.

folder-pref.png

Use Finder to examine those directories for any unexpected files.

Strongly consider making a backup of your data to keep in your pocket while you experiment and resolve this issue :-)

Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Cowling View Post
      The two files listed have identical information but the "last modified" date is not correct when compared to the actual file in the Finder (which says Aug 28, 2021 11:08 AM).
      The dates shown in the window being different from what's shown in Finder is not necessarily an issue.

I keep my file on Dropbox and there is only one in that location...
      What's been duplicated is a part of the family file package. Reunion 13 family files are actually folders containing several files, that appear as one file in Finder.

If you go into your Dropbox folder and Control+Click/Right-Click on the family file, then select Show Package Contents, you'll see what I mean (don't directly modify any of the files that show). In there you're going to see a file named "familyfile.familydata" and another with the same name but with "(Conflicted Copy)" (or similar) at the end of the file name. The conflicted copy was created by Dropbox - you can read more about conflicted copies on their website:

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folde...onflicted-copy

Can anyone give me some help on how to proceed?
      If you want to be extra safe, make a copy of the family file that's in your Dropbox folder, then select one of the two files to keep in the Conflicting Family Files window and check to see if it has the most recent data. If not, you can go back to the copy of the family file you made and select the other file.

HTH
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks for your help with this! I have successfully fixed the problem using your information.

Comment

Working...
        X