People keep appearing as child of young person born generations later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People keep appearing as child of young person born generations later

I have an entry for a roundabout relative, my daughter's sister-in-law's son Jack, who is currently a school-age child. Every once in a while I find people in the Name sidebar, double-click, and it shows that person, born generations earlier and long deceased, as the child of little Jack. I've tried deleting Jack's entry and adding him again as a new person, but the new entry for little Jack still appears as the father of someone long deceased. It may be significant that I do not have birth dates for Jack or his mother.

What is the proper way to break that relationship? Is there a way to set up Jack so he does not mysteriously acquire children from the long past?

Hi Rick,

It sounds like there are some linking issues in your file. There are a couple solutions here:

1 - If you send the file to us, using one of the methods in this FAQ, we can locate and "unlink" any such erroneous links using an internal tool. Please be sure to provide specifics on the Jack entry in question (Person ID number, parent names and birth/death dates) so we can easily locate the entry.

2 - Alternatively, you should be able to "unlink" them by going to the people who show Jack as a parent and dragging Jack from the portion of the Family View where he shows as a parent (and shouldn't) to the Clipboard sidebar.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Hi Rick,

It sounds like there are some linking issues in your file. There are a couple solutions here:

1 - If you send the file to us, using one of the methods in this FAQ, we can locate and "unlink" any such erroneous links using an internal tool. Please be sure to provide specifics on the Jack entry in question (Person ID number, parent names and birth/death dates) so we can easily locate the entry.

2 - Alternatively, you should be able to "unlink" them by going to the people who show Jack as a parent and dragging Jack from the portion of the Family View where he shows as a parent (and shouldn't) to the Clipboard sidebar.

HTH
      I had this happen a couple of times recently, but of people not within the same family. I did though manage to sort it out

Comment

Thank you, that worked perfectly.

Comment

Working...
        X