Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording source information for Media: (Photo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording source information for Media: (Photo)

I need to record the source and owner of some photos I have added to my file, what is the best way to do this? I can't find any way to enter a source and link to the media...

Mark if you double click on the photo and select get info it will bring up a window like this and you can enter your information in the Comments. There are also other apps that will allow you to be more specific about the information you enter as meta data and allow to update certain fields. Hope this helps.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RWells; 02 July 2021, 07:02 AM.

Comment

You can link media to a source, name, event, fact or note. I often link scans of documents to the source info for that document, where you can enter what you wish. One source (with the linked media) can then be used for multiple citations or people, if needed.
      Steve Thomas
      iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

My question is about which source template to use in Reunion for recording owner and description information specifically for a photo, how do I link this to a photo already in the family file attached to an individual, rather than the meta data of the photo. I need to be able to see in Reunion who contributed what (photos) and for any one photo who owns it and when added etc, thanks so far

Comment

When you click on a photo in Multimedia, up it comes with a convenient space below for Comments. Why not use that?

Comment

Originally posted by marki573 View Post
            My question is about which source template to use in Reunion for recording owner and description information specifically for a photo, how do I link this to a photo already in the family file attached to an individual, rather than the meta data of the photo. I need to be able to see in Reunion who contributed what (photos) and for any one photo who owns it and when added etc, thanks so far
            Mark, your choice of source template is up to you. Most templates have several default Source Fields, which can also be customized. You may want to use the Free Form template (which has no pre-defined Source Fields), and use the Free-Form Text field to record the owner and description information. Link the photo to the source in the Multimedia section, and cite the source wherever you want. Multimedia attached to an individual is treated separately from a source, although it can be the same photo that is attached to a source.
            Steve Thomas
            iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Thanks for the contributions, it would seem that as multimedia linked to an individual cannot be linked to a source, I will have to create a source for the image and link it that way & in addition link to the individual or marriage as needed. This seems rather awkward, as all images added to a family file should be sourced and adding a source to a multimedia item directly from the media window seems the intuitive way to go here, it would be better if then the image could be linked to the person's (the person who owns the image) contact details or id in the family file. Using & designing a source template is not a problem, as is using the Comments section in the media window, although this duplicates that in the source, which I was anxious not to do (too much)!

Comment

Mark, I suppose I must be missing something here, since I don't get the problem. Can't you just write the info you want in the Comments without creating a source? Another approach, if you have image editing software, would be to add some space to the 'canvas' and write in there.

Comment

Michael, Comments is fine if you have just a few images, but where you might need to search through all photos to see who has provided photos, then sources is the way you can do this. Its just about easily finding and recording the information in a standard, set, style, and sources can do this, and elsewhere on Reunion for other records, so why not integrate photos more into the source lists that reunion already has! Lots of ways to do things is good - we do what suits our purposes, for many comments will be adequate, no problem with that! Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X