Family Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Tree

Under Chart, I create a family tree. I have a member of the Tree who had 2 children. 1 Child was born in 1890 and the other was born in 1900. The child born in 1900 is male and the child born in 1890 is female. When the Tree is displayed the male child is shown first, even though he was born later then the female child. Why? I would expect the members of a generation to be displayed by Date of Birth

Charts display children in the order of their appearance on the family view. So, to correct this, go to the family view where the children appear as siblings in the Children area. Then, click on the "+ Children" button and select Sort...
    Sort Children.png
    Afterward, create another chart and the children should appear correctly.

I hope you find this information helpful
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am assuming that the sort will be a global sort ( all children for all families will be sorted) or do I have to do a sort for every family in the tree - one by one?

Comment

Originally posted by BarryW View Post
        Thanks for the help. I am assuming that the sort will be a global sort ( all children for all families will be sorted) or do I have to do a sort for every family in the tree - one by one?
        The sort mentioned in my previous post would work for just that one family. However, you can do a global sort by following these steps...

1. Click on Change in the navbar on the left.
        2. Select Sort.
        3. Click on the Children tab.
        4. Select this option:
        * Sort children on... "All families..."

Sort Children - global.png

5. The other settings regarding what to do if a child has no birthdate and when finished are up to you.
        6. When it is set up like you want, click the "Sort" button at the bottom.

I hope you find this helpful in doing a global sort for children
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you for this information. When I followed the steps they worked for most families but this also appeared: "children for 77 families could not be sorted". Could you please tell me how to fix my data in those families so the children sort properly in Family View? (When I click the person button of any of the children in one of these families the siblings are shown in the correct chronological order, so it's not a case of missing dates.)

Comment

Were the dates complete with a month, day, and year?

Also, it may be helpful to know if the children are shown in a list, like this...

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 1.59.38 PM.png

...or as buttons, like this...

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 1.59.58 PM.png

Deb Stuller
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I checked the dates of birth for the five siblings and they all look complete.These children are shown as buttons, not as a list. As I mentioned, in the pop-up person menu for each child, their siblings appear in the right chronological order.sample chrono.png

Comment

The children shown in your screen shot are all shown in correct chronological order. When shown as buttons, the order goes from top to bottom, then left to right...

image_1647.png

I hope you find this information helpful
                Deb Stuller
                Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

"When shown as buttons, the order goes from top to bottom, then left to right..." Very helpful, Deb. Thanks, I didn't know that.

Comment

Working...
                  X