Formatting notes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formatting notes?

I use Notes to write narratives about an individual or family, include sources, research reports, analysis, etc. Formatting tools are limited in Notes. If I move notes to Word or Pages, I can then format, etc....but if I move that formatted text back to Notes, they revert to the wonky state they were to begin with! Many people use Notes to "write the story" of family or individual, as they should. So is it possible to format Notes with options for alignment, block quotes, and so forth? If one could create a narrative, with charts, photos and sources in Notes, would be great!
    Bonnie Samuel
    Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

I might be wrong but I think in Notes you are limited to the formatting options in the top right hand corner of the Notes window, that is, Plain Text, Bold, Italic, Underline and a choice of color.

Comment

Yes, that is currently the limits....what I ask is make changes to allow expanded formatting....perhaps I wasn’t clear.
      Bonnie Samuel
      Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Comment

OK, if you are asking the programmers to change the program then there is a separate thread for that called Wish List. You may ask what you want to see in future versions in that thread and they will consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by BL Samuel View Post
          I use Notes to write narratives about an individual or family, include sources, research reports, analysis, etc. ...Many people use Notes to "write the story" of family or individual, as they should...
          I use the narrative Register Report format in my Books. This automatically generates a narrative that contains dates and places of all events. Any sources attached to those events are automatically footnoted. Then I use the notes field to add things like comments or other info that doesn't fit nicely into events.
          Steve Thomas
          iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Thomprod: Some food for thought.... While Reunion has a fairly fantastic system for citing sources and such, I do not use said system. Period. Why? My preferred report method for relatives is the Register report. BUT, if I create one based on the Reunion citing model, all of the footnotes end up at the far back end of the report. Thus, if a multi-generations report ends of being 30 or 75 or 110 pages, the reader is forced to keep an extra finger in the back to not very conveniently see what is in the footnotes.

Personally, I hate reading in such fashion. And I dislike forcing others to read things this way.

Thus, all of my narratives and source information go in the Notes field... And when I do the Register report, everything is in one place for the reader. (Note: When I was a young pup, I probably wrote 35-40 "term papers" in high school and college. Back then, footnotes were properly placed at the bottom of a page -- not at the back of the paper. That's my style and I'm sticking with it.)
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hi Bob, I concur. Of course, not everyone either reads or cares about the footnotes....imagine that! I use the Reunion notes feature to expand the "event", mostly chronologically; also may explain the evidence source. At some point, I transfer these notes and sources into a writing program, Scrivener. In this program I can opt to place sources on page, end of chapter, or the end. Scrivener allows for compiling your writing in many different formats, too. Reunion and the notes feature is an invaluable tool for recording not just dates and places, but the "dash" between birth and death...ie the story. Bonnie
              Bonnie Samuel

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                ...all of the footnotes end up at the far back end of the report. Thus, if a multi-generations report ends of being 30 or 75 or 110 pages, the reader is forced to keep an extra finger in the back to not very conveniently see what is in the footnotes...footnotes were properly placed at the bottom of a page -- not at the back of the paper.
                Sounds like a great suggestion for the Wish List. I will post there. Thank, Bob.

Steve Thomas
                iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Working...
                X