Cropping tool for PDF files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cropping tool for PDF files

I rarely include multimedia items to Reunion. Today I added a group PDF picture to someone and tried to crop it, but the tool was not there. Does anybody know why it is not there and/or how to get it back?

I am using the most current version of Reunion. Cop Tool Gone.jpeg

In Reunion the cropping tool is not available for pdf documents.

Since your screen example looks to be entirely a bitmap, you could open this pdf in Preview and export it as a png. Then link to the png to instead of the pdf in your family file.

You could also do some cropping in Preview to reduce the overall size of this image before exporting to png.

I hope that helps.
    Gregg Witmer
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thank you Gregg, that is very helpful. Perhaps the exclusion of pdf to cropping could be mentioned under "Cropping Images" in the Manual?

The original document was a png so I will just use that. The pdf that came from the png actually looks better (less blocky when enlarged on the screen.) Maybe the bitmap look of it came from the use of the old Grab application that I used to screen grab. IDK.

Comment

Maybe this isn't the correct thread but I'd love some guidance on how to best take new head and shoulders pics from photos such as Blaise's. I like to illustrate my Family View and descendants Charts with as many portrait type photos as possible. Often the only one i may have of someone is from a group photo such as yours Blaise. e.g. team photo or something from an old newspaper etc.
        I often wonder what is best: to crop in Photos (Mac) ; in Preview, in Reunion or do I go for for some photo editing software. Or take a new photo from the original ? I wonder what others do ?
        Rupert Cuddon-Large ; Lives in Jersey
        Using R12 on iMac 2013, running Catalina; RTouch on iPad
        Researching Large; Cuddon; Fletcher; Ford; Gadsdon; Reynolds and Christian

Comment

Call me lazy BUT.... this works almost always. Put the group photo in either spouse's box in multimedia then use Reunion's "cropping" tool to hide all but the person you want displayed. The only time this doesn't work is if like someone's head or shoulder is blocking the view. In that case, I search around for another photo. There is really no need to truly crop the photo for real in a photo editing application.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

As Bob says, Reunion will do the cropping, but there are usually other worthwhile adjustments you can make. The right software does help. Rupert—taking a new photo comes last. If you'd like a demo, give me a ring.

Comment

Thanks Bob and Michael. Tried that and it works just fine. Nice and easy to do and the cropped photo stays in focus
              Michael I'm a bit busy at the moment but I'd very much like to take you up on your offer of a get together and will give you a ring maybe in a week or so.
              Time for another Jersey Reunion Users Group meeting. Are we the only two, I wonder ?
              Rupert Cuddon-Large ; Lives in Jersey
              Using R12 on iMac 2013, running Catalina; RTouch on iPad
              Researching Large; Cuddon; Fletcher; Ford; Gadsdon; Reynolds and Christian

Comment

To piggyback on Bob's and Michael's comments. My procedure is this:

- Adjust the group photo to my tastes in Photoshop (or app of your choice)
                - Save in the appropriate folder in my Reunion Pictures folder
                - Add the group photo to the family multimedia for each family that's represented
                - Add the group photo to the person multimedia for each person that's represented
                - Crop in Reunion to each person as appropriate

This way I have the best possible photo for reference, I have only one copy of it, and it stays the master copy. And Reunion keeps track of how I want to associate the image or parts of the image to the people in my family file.
                Tim Lundin
                Heartland Family Graphics
                http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Actually, Tim, I do what you do other than I'm not a Photoshop guy. Like you, first step is editing -- if needed.
                  Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                  Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                  iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                  X