Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about "islands"

hello everyone

i just noticed that the biggest "island" in my file is about 47k people large. so, i was wondering whether i can somehow generate a report or a graph that includes all 47k people.

of course neither ancestor nore descendant reports really work, because there is noone in the "island" who would be the ancestor or descendant of everyone else. not even if you include siblings.

any ideas?

best wishes

jürg nobs

Go to the Mark panel, and you can choose "Blood relatives of..." the person you are starting from

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
      Go to the Mark panel, and you can choose "Blood relatives of..." the person you are starting from

Roger
      that doesnt quite do it. this "island" was created by combining a lot of different family trees together. so, while they are all related, there won't be anyone who is a blood relative of everyone else. even if i include spouses, that doesnt even cover 10% of the island. because of course in many spots i have the blood relatives of these spouses too. and the spouses of these blood relatives. and so on.

but i can of course mark the whole island. i did that now and i got all 47k people on that "island" marked. but how do i now generate a graph of that? or a report? if there even is a way, of course

sincerely

jürg nobs

Comment

Most charts and reports are going to follow blood relationships -- which means they aren't guaranteed to include everyone in the island, unless you generate the report from someone in that island that is blood related to everyone that's a part of the island (as you noted, that's unlikely).

That being said, you could create Person Sheets or Family Group Sheets for the marked entries (after marking everyone in the island). That would include everyone, as those two reports don't follow blood relationships. You can also do a Timeline chart for all of the marked people.

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Most charts and reports are going to follow blood relationships -- which means they aren't guaranteed to include everyone in the island, unless you generate the report from someone in that island that is blood related to everyone that's a part of the island (as you noted, that's unlikely).

That being said, you could create Person Sheets or Family Group Sheets for the marked entries (after marking everyone in the island). That would include everyone, as those two reports don't follow blood relationships. You can also do a Timeline chart for all of the marked people.

HTH
          thank you for these ideas!

of course i will generate a "classic" graph showing he ancestors of our customer, but i feel like as his tree is connected to so many others, it would be quite interesting to show that to him somehow. and your ideas should work quite fine

Comment

Originally posted by JürgNobs View Post

thank you for these ideas!

of course i will generate a "classic" graph showing he ancestors of our customer, but i feel like as his tree is connected to so many others, it would be quite interesting to show that to him somehow. and your ideas should work quite fine
            Generating a single "classic" graph of 47K people will take you a long time to do. I recently made one for 8 or 9 thousand people and it took 40 minutes for the computer to render. (I don't send these charts out; I use them to keep track of where I am in a particular project that I am working on right now.) I also noticed that the time it takes to render is not a straight line relationship to how many people. For example it took about 4 times as long to render 8 or 9 thousand people as it did to render a chart with half that number people.

Comment

Working...
            X