Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how well does reunion 13 handle very large files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how well does reunion 13 handle very large files?

hello everyone

our company has been using reunion 9 until recently. we have our data spread out over multiple seperate family files, because the software started to struggle (not registering all key-strokes and so on) when the files got too big. in total, we have about 250 000 individuals in our files. now that we've switched to reunion 13, i was wondering the following

1. how reliable is the transfer from reunion 9 to reunion 13 files? does this pose an issue with larger files? i "upgraded" a file with about 25000 individuals yesterday and the software crashed twice. any experiences with such endeavours?

2. if possible, i would like to combine all of our family files. is reunion 13 able to handle significantly larger data sets than reunion 9? or is it possibly more of a hardware issue (processor too weak?)? i thought i should ask because sometimes newer software handles larger data samples better

we also have about 300 000 families on paper, written down by typewriter, that i would like to include to the file at some point. but that's a whole other project...

sincerely

jürg nobs

I can't imagine Reunion 13 having any problems doing anything with the numbers of families or individuals that you are describing. I routinely work with my file of 40 000 individuals with absolutely no problems, and I have heard of people with much more, even nearing 1 000 000. There is also someone on this forum that, if I remember correctly, has 39 000 sources, let alone individuals and families. If you are experiencing crashes with relatively modest sized people or family counts, Leister would probably like to know more details about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
      I can't imagine Reunion 13 having any problems doing anything with the numbers of families or individuals that you are describing. I routinely work with my file of 40 000 individuals with absolutely no problems, and I have heard of people with much more, even nearing 1 000 000. There is also someone on this forum that, if I remember correctly, has 39 000 sources, let alone individuals and families. If you are experiencing crashes with relatively modest sized people or family counts, Leister would probably like to know more details about that.
      thank you. maybe the crash had to do with the fact that the file i was converting was saved on our server and i was using terrible internet from an archive. it might have had issues with actually writing the information on the server.

i guess i will try converting some of our bigger files and see how it goes. i mean, if anything goes wrong, the reunion 9 files still should be undamaged.

it would just be practical to finally have all of our data in one file, to make it easier to combine families and to search for data

Comment

My database now stands at 211178 and I am not having any problems on my 2020 MacBook Pro M1. I would say though that the hardware is important. The previous MacBook Pro was much slower

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Knight View Post
          My database now stands at 211178 and I am not having any problems on my 2020 MacBook Pro M1. I would say though that the hardware is important. The previous MacBook Pro was much slower
          thank you. i am currently using a 2015 MacBook Pro. we used to have the issue in our company that most of the software was very old, so we were only able to use old hardware to make sure it all actually runs. now we finally decided to update and upgrade.

i converted one of our larger files (106k individuals) and it seems to run fine. the conversion took almost two hours, which got me a bit nervous, but it does seem to run fine now. i guess i will just convert the files one by one and start importing them to the main one and see how that goes...

Comment

Working...
          X