Duplicate Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate Events

Is there a way to find duplicate events specifically death events?

TIA Roger

Finding duplicated Death event fields is a two-step process.

The first step would be to find people who have information in the Death event field and mark them. This can be done by choosing Find in the navbar on the left. Then, click on Advanced Find...

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 10.41.43 AM.png

Next, select these conditions...

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 10.37.17 AM.png

(Hint: to get to Death Date, Death Place, and Death Memo, choose Events > Death, then select the appropriate field.)

Then, click Find at the bottom.

Next, press the "Command" and "Y" keys on your keyboard to unmark everybody in your family file and mark everybody in the Results sidebar. (Another way to do the same thing is to click on the Marking Shortcuts menu button — the green checkmark at the bottom of the Results sidebar — and select "Unmark Everybody in Family File, then Mark Everybody in List.")

Then, select these conditions...

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 10.48.29 AM.png

(Hint: both "Person Marked" and "# of Duplicated fields" can be found in the Attributes menu.)

Finally, after clicking Find, the Results sidebar should only show those people who have duplicated Death event fields.

I hope you find this information helpful
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Deb Thanks

I still have a problem maybe I am missing something

The problem I have is there are other duplicate fields like Census records. So any person who has any type of duplicate field, not just death duplicates, shows up in the last find.

Comment

Originally posted by RWells View Post
        Deb Thanks

I still have a problem maybe I am missing something

The problem I have is there are other duplicate fields like Census records. So any person who has any type of duplicate field, not just death duplicates, shows up in the last find.
        Is it possible those people have duplicate Census fields in addition to duplicate Death fields?

If not, let me know and we'll go from there.
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Some I am sure have duplicates of both but most of those I looked at only had duplicate Census events. I am also certain that some may contain duplicate other events like residence, education, occupation to list just a few.

Comment

Some I am sure have duplicates of both but most of those I looked at only had duplicate Census events. I am also certain that some may contain duplicate other events like residence, education, occupation to list just a few.
            Perhaps the step in between the 2nd and 3rd screen shots was missed? I.e., press the "Command" and "Y" keys on your keyboard to unmark everybody in your family file and mark everybody in the Results sidebar. (Another way to do the same thing is to click on the Marking Shortcuts menu button — the green checkmark at the bottom of the Results sidebar — and select "Unmark Everybody in Family File, then Mark Everybody in List.")

In any case, please try the whole process again.

Then, let us know if problems continue. (If this is the case, it may be a good idea for you to send your family file to us to find out why you are seeing what you are.)
            Deb Stuller
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Deb

I tried again but same results. I have also found another way to accomplish what I am trying to do.

But for my education - this is how I understand what you have shown me

Step 1 selects all individuals that have a death date, death place, or date memo field that is not blank
              Step 2 Marks all of the individuals that meets any of the above selection
              Step 3 Selects all of the individuals who have been marked and checks to see if any duplicates

Now how dose step 3 know what type of duplicate event I am looking for?

Thanks Roger

Comment

....Now how dose step 3 know what type of duplicate event I am looking for?r
                You're correct. It doesn't. It simply worked out that way with the family file I used yesterday when testing the steps.

...I have also found another way to accomplish what I am trying to do
                Out of curiosity, is the other way using the Events List?

I.e., search for and mark people with duplicate events. Then, use the events list to show the Death event for marked people.
                Deb Stuller
                Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Deb

I found that I only had about a dozen of the duplicate death events that I needed to change so I did them manually.

The more I use the program the better I like it. I had Dec in over 2000 death dates. I was able to change them to ? in about a hour using find advance and the create a list then use a typeit4me script to make the changes several at a time.

Thanks for the help. I hope you don't mind the questions as I am sure I will have a lot.

Roger

Comment

...I found that I only had about a dozen of the duplicate death events that I needed to change so I did them manually.

The more I use the program the better I like it. I had Dec in over 2000 death dates. I was able to change them to ? in about a hour using find advance and the create a list then use a typeit4me script to make the changes several at a time.
                    Okay

Thanks for the help. I hope you don't mind the questions as I am sure I will have a lot.
                    No problem

Deb Stuller
                    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
                    X