Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing a wall size ancestry chart

Hi all,

Can someone give me some advice on how to format a large, wall sized ancestry chart to send to a printer for output? Everything I have tried so far just shrinks the entire thing until it's unreadable to fit on one page instead of tiling the output to two 3'x6' pages as I have it formatted in Reunion. It loses something in the export to a graphic file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See this, then ask Heartland. https://www.reuniontalk.com/search?q...eartland%22%7D
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

I found that by using the File --> Save Graphics File option, Reunion will save a chart as a full-sized PDF image. By using Adobe Acrobat Reader to print--setting page size with Page Setup and tiling using the Poster option--I can print to my printer's capacity. I have not found a loss in quality in the graphics file, at least on the screen--I can zoom in without jaggies or blur.
      Last edited by Big J; 27 March 2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Another way to print very large charts is to bring your chart saved as PDF on a USB key to your local printshop - one that provides professional color plotters which print from rolls of paper.
        This is used by architects for their blueprints and the result is just great. I use this since a few years without any problem.

Good plotters can accept different width of paper to accommodate your chart and the length of paper on a roll is usually not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Big J View Post
          I found that by using the File --> Save Graphics File option, Reunion will save a chart as a full-sized PDF image. By using Adobe Acrobat Reader to print--setting page size with Page Setup and tiling using the Poster option--I can print to my printer's capacity. I have not found a loss in quality in the graphics file, at least on the screen--I can zoom in without jaggies or blur.
          Yes, I have done that before now but it is not quite what I want today!

I have a chart that I laid out to print on two pages, landscape, of A2 sized paper. Everything went well until I tried to save a copy to send someone. Something on the Mac or Reunion would not let me save the two pages as two pages separately. I can only save it as a single double A2 landscape width image. I am not convinced my recipient would welcome this as he may only have a PC. Nor am I sure that a print shop will handle this image and split it into two A2 pages. And the worst problem is the title for the Reunion image: it is neatly spread over the join of the two pages; I can organise the title so it does not split words, but I cannot be sure any jobbing printshop can do the same.

I would like to have a facility to save the PDF files already paged, not just lumped into one big file.

Any thoughts on how we can save big pages separately as separate PDF pages?

Tim Powys-Lybbe
          tim@powys.org http://powys.org

Comment

With your chart open in Reunion, choose File -> Print.

In the print window that appears, look for a PDF popup menu at the bottom-left.

Choose "Open in Preview" or "Save as PDF" and a multi-page pdf file will be created with the page breaks you have in your chart.

I hope this helps.
            Gregg Witmer
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
            X