Reunion using iCloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion using iCloud

I have Reunion 12 on my desktop iMac, can I load Reunion 12 onto my Mactop pro laptop and use iCloud to access my files, thank you.

The use of iCloud for syncing and storing your family files not supported by Reunion, as noted on this web page...

We recommend using Dropbox to store and sync your family file between two Macs. In case you are not aware, Dropbox is free for up to 2 GB storage, which is sufficient for most Reunion users, and can be downloaded from here...
    Dropbox helps you create, share, and collaborate on your files, folders, and documents. Learn how to download and install Dropbox.
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

My Reunion files are on iCloud (using the "Desktop & Documents in iCloud" feature) and it works fine. This is obviously not a substitute for regular backups AND not a safe option if you work on your data from multiple devices.
      Benoit Bousquet
      Reunion 14

Comment

Thank you Deb and Benoit Bousquet for your answers and advice. Ann.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
          The use of iCloud for syncing and storing your family files not supported by Reunion, as noted on this web page...

We recommend using Dropbox to store and sync your family file between two Macs. In case you are not aware, Dropbox is free for up to 2 GB storage, which is sufficient for most Reunion users, and can be downloaded from here...
          https://www.dropbox.com/install
          Deb:

That information is from 2016 and earlier. Has nothing changed with iCloud in the past 5 years?
          ``````````````````````````````
          Grant

Comment

Originally posted by gathompson56 View Post
            That information is from 2016 and earlier. Has nothing changed with iCloud in the past 5 years?
            The links on that web site are from years ago. However, it is still applicable for today.
            Deb Stuller
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

After adding a Mac mini to my Apple family of products (iPad, iPhone & MacBook Air) I found I just exceeded the 3 device limit for the free account. To add the 4th device will cost a minimum of $120/year. Since I want to be able to sync all my devices, I would love to use iCloud to sync instead of dropbox. Can anyone suggest a seamless way to make this happen?

Comment

I do use Dropbox to sync to my iPad and iPhone, and, until recently was caught up in the 3 device limit, but I have had to drop documents etc because of the size of my file and only use small images but they come out blurred on both devices and are unreadable.

I have recently used external disks to back up all my family tree records.

To use my external; I use the drag & drop system for back-ups so they are always available and they work well.

(I purchased a 1TB SSD and separately a SSD enclosure and do regular backups between my iMac and ssd.)

I believe there some propriety apps that will do what you would like but have no detailed knowledge of them or costs.
                iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Originally posted by JerryMB View Post
                  After adding a Mac mini to my Apple family of products (iPad, iPhone & MacBook Air) I found I just exceeded the 3 device limit for the free account. To add the 4th device will cost a minimum of $120/year. Since I want to be able to sync all my devices, I would love to use iCloud to sync instead of dropbox. Can anyone suggest a seamless way to make this happen?
                  Having faced this dilemma myself... I evaluated the worth by asking myself how important it was to have the information on four devices. So I rated devices: iMac absolutely first as that is where most of my work is done, iPhone second as that is the most used source during conversations in family. That left the iPad and MacBook. The answer became easy because I rarely ever fired up Reunion on the MacBook (I detest typing on laptops.) This evaluation led to my conclusion that $120 could stay in my savings account.
                  Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                  Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                  iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

There is a work around to the 3 device limit with the free version of dropbox although it can be a bit unwieldy. Start a new free dropbox account under a different email address and share the original dropbox reunion data with the new dropbox account. I have four devices all syncing to the the same reunion data and haven't experienced any problems so far. I store only my reunion familyfile on dropbox and the images, etc on iCloud and have not experienced any problems with that arrangement. Still, it would be much better if a more viable iCloud solution could be implemented.
                    Tom Brown

Comment

Working...
                    X