DNA match name-how do you enter it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNA match name-how do you enter it?

Hi-I am wondering how you all put in a DNA match name. Sometimes I only know their name on Ancestry, like mrstucci51 (that's me) and when I go to search for it that name doesn't come up. So I am looking for some ideas or maybe you have a tip/trick for entering the name so that I can search and find it. I have a DNA match with the initials R.M.. Unless I hear from the person that is the admin for them and find out their "real" name I just put in R.M.. Reunion can't find it.
    I appreciate any tips you care to share with me! Thanks! Judy
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

I usually wait until I know what the descendent surname would be. So I research the match. If I can identify the family, I put the name they use in their DNA profile in the ‘Forename’ field and the family surname in the Surname field. That way, I can find it. It’s too easy to make typos when entering the dna profile match name. Some people use.several characters. You only need one error and the search facility won’t work. But as the search is by surname first, it will bring up all of that name, which should include all the weird dna names. Works for me anyway.

Comment

Hi janelucas-Thank you for that reply. Sounds like a good idea. You are right about making typos!

Comment

I also usually wait until I know the surname before I enter the person. I created a "DNA" note (in Note Preferences) that I use to enter the DNA match information (testing service, user name, shared cM, etc.) for each matching person. An Ancestry user name entered there is searchable using the "Find" function. To make it easier for me to keep track of my DNA matches I also created a "DNA Match" flag (in Flag Preferences) that I check for each matching person and created a color tag named "Flag is DNA Match" and set it for people with flag checked...DNA Match. That way I can pull up a list of all of my DNA matches by clicking on the color tag. The color tags also make the DNA matches stand out in the people list.
        Dan Kiefer

Comment

Oh, I like the color tag idea. Would you be willing to share your DNA note (in Note Preferences)-how you set it up, etc.? Did you set it up in Field Preferences? I am working on the color tags now. Thanks!

Comment

There are a few ways to do it, but you can set it up in Field Preferences. In Field Preferences, select the Person tab and then the Notes tab. Click the Add Note button and change the name of the new note from "New Note" to "DNA," "DNA Match," or whatever you'd like it to be. You can also fill in the abbreviation, font, and GEDCOM tag information. After you've done that, your DNA note will appear on the list of note choices that pops up whenever you click the Add Note button.
            Dan Kiefer

Comment

Thank you, Dan.

Comment

Working...
              X