Missing "reset sharing" button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing "reset sharing" button

Happy New Year to all- I have a family file that currently shows "this file is not being shared." I used help and see that I might need to reset it, but when I open the dialog box (see attached) there is no reset option.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LindaCK; 03 January 2021, 12:15 PM.

Pop up the manual, search for "sharing" and there is several paragraphs about reset of sharing.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

The button to Reset Sharing only appears when the family file is currently being shared. Based on the information in that Sharing Status window, this family file is not currently in Dropbox, so it cannot be shared at this point in time. In order to share this particular family file, quit Reunion and open your Finder. Then, go to your Documents/Reunion Files folder. Next, Control-click (or right-click) on the Coons-Bader..." family file and select Move to Dropbox from the menu that appears.
      Deb Stuller
      Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thanks Deb. I've had my file in drop box for a long time prior to this and it has worked great until upgrading to 13 and thus creating a new file during the upgrade. I messed around with it recently because I wasn't getting syncing between both of my mac desktops and was trying to fix it. That "hidden folder" (package contents?) is the issue - it is not in my Reunion files folder any longer. When I look on Drop box desktop, it never shows there. If I go to dropbox web-based I could see the "folder". I make an export at one point. I hope I haven't ruined my file. When I ctrl click, I am not offered a "move to dropbox message"

Comment

I tried starting a new file on my computer (not mobile), imported my records to it. Closed it and tried to move to dropbox. No option in right click to move to dropbox.

After trying the above, I did a drag to Dropbox (which works), but still no option to make it sharable
          Last edited by LindaCK; 02 January 2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

The manual is incomplete and confusing.

In the sharing window I also have a red warning and NO reset button.

This occurred after making a backup and then pruning my tree to delete an imported gedcom, which was preceded by a warning that sharing would be halted.

My familyfile13 file is on Dropbox, so I cannot drag it to Dropbox.

If this is unexpected behavior, then a patch is needed. If this is expected behavior then the manual needs to provide instructions to remedy the situation.

I could try all sorts of work arounds involving renaming, moving, copying, etc., but it would be preferable to have direction, as I don't want to be debugging commercial software. In any event, it seems bizarre to rely on Finder behavior, which is out of LeisterPro's control, to trigger sharing.

Comment

As frustrating as this is, I'm happy to know it's not just me. I have spent a lot of time trying everything I could think of (I'm fairly computer savvy) to no avail. I'm afraid of losing new work, so am now not using the file until I hear back.

Comment

A picture is worth many words. Dropbox is on your Mac; what is on the Dropbox site is a mirror copy of what is in the folder on your Mac. The Dropbox app keeps the two copies in sync. Anyway, drag the file to (as shown) MacintoshHD > Users > YourName > Dropbox. As far as I know, one cannot drag to Dropbox' website but, rather, has to use their upload scheme.

2021-01-03_11-58-22.png
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

Here are "two many" words. The first shows the file location in my Dropbox folder. The second shows that it is NOT being shared, and there is no button to enable sharing.

So either or both of these are possible:
                  1. The software has a bug.
                  2. The software is undocumented.

Reunion already in Dropbox.png
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by wmconlon; 03 January 2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bob- yes I've done all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by wmconlon View Post
                      The second shows that it is NOT being shared, and there is no button to enable sharing.
                      Sharing is "enabled" when you download the family file to ReunionTouch on an iPad or iPhone, as outlined in the manual entry Sharing a Family File with a Mobile Device. If you already have the file on a device when sharing is reset, then you simply need to open the file on the device to have it update and re-initiate sharing, as discussed in the Reset Sharing manual entry.

If you're not sharing your family file with ReunionTouch, then the file indicating it's not being shared and not showing a Reset Sharing button is normal, as the file isn't being shared with ReunionTouch on an iOS device.

For more details, I'd recommend reading the entire Mobile Devices and Dropbox Sharing manual entry.

HTH
                      Mark Harrison
                      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

This WAS a Dropbox syncing problem between 2 mac desktops. wmconlon - I have always had my dropbox folder in my mac finder sidebar and I have never had to do anything to be able to use that file between my two desktops. No problems until upgrading Reunion and to Big Sur. I'm not sure what has changed, but here is what worked for me (never had to do this before): Open the dropbox APP on your mac. It is now active in the upper menu bar. Click on account, preferences sync, choose folders. Make sure the folder your family file is in in dropbox is checked and that it is synced. Do this on both computers. Deb's message about sharing threw me off; she is talking about sharing the reunion file to dropbox - she may have a custom "sharing item" under the regular finder "share", which has a default number of places to share a file with, but not dropbox specifically.

Comment

Thanks Mark, After several iterations of quitting Reunion and launching Reunion Touch the Sharing has resumed.

Comment

I updated today, 5/23/21, to the latest version and sharing status on both my 2012 13" MacBook Pro (OS 10.15.7) and 2016 15" MacBook Pro (OS 11.3.1) said "this file is not being shared". Status on my iPhone 12 (IOS 14.5.1) said it was sharing to only the 15" MacBook Pro. Totally confused! So I deleted ReunionTouch on iPhone and reinstalled. Sharing status stayed the same on the iPhone, but on the 13" MacBook Pro it said it was sharing with 13" MacBook Pro and iPhone 12. Still not sharing with 15" MacBook Pro. Ugh. Frustrated, I did this procedure several times for about an hour (DropBox was on the whole time on and connected on all devices during this ordeal). I was about to give up when, for whatever reason, syncing was back on all devices. I hope Leister Productions will work on making the syncing/re-syncing process easier/more intuitive. And please update the online manual concerning the very confusing "Reset" which doesn't show when the synching process isn't working. Thanks!

Comment

Well, this morning (May 24) my devices are back to showing "this file is not being shared". Updated a record on iPhone and it didn't come over to either MacBook Pro (DropBox is working fine). Likewise, updated a record on the 15" MacBook Pro and change did not come over to iPhone or 13" MacBook Pro. Another weird thing, when I open Reunion on one of the MacBook Pros and then close it and open up Reunion on the other one, I get a message that says Reunion is open on the other Mac (it's not!) and to choose one of the files to open, showing a listing of both computers. I don't get it. One of the best features of Reunion has always been the seamless integration across devices, until now.

Comment

Working...
                              X