Including Sources' multimedia attachments in reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Including Sources' multimedia attachments in reports

I'd like a Person report to include not just the Sources but the actual multimedia attachments to those sources when I create the report in the web browser option and ideally in an option where I can output it like a single large, concatenated document.

For example, if I have John Smith and he has a birth event which I've cited to a birth certificate copy as the source and I've linked a scan of that birth certificate to the source, when I make John's person report, I'd like to have not just the source listed but the image of the birth certificate.

Is that possible? I've tried clicking the Include flag for Media Images on the report configuration screen but that doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks.

Here's the answer that I received from Mark at Reunion in answer to exactly the same question:

"It’s not possible to drag from the Multimedia sidebar into a Source window — instead, you should locate the image in Finder and drag it from there into the Source window, or use the + button that appears to the right of Multimedia in the Source window to add the image from where ever it’s located on your Mac."

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Deena B View Post
      I'd like a Person report to include not just the Sources but the actual multimedia attachments to those sources when I create the report in the web browser option...
      You can do this by clicking the Web Preferences button as you're about to create the report. Then, in the Web Preferences, click Reports, and then Sources. You'll see a button "Include multimedia files."

...and ideally in an option where I can output it like a single large, concatenated document.
      The report is created as a "web folder" with a Contents page, Surnames page, Sources page, etc. It's not a single page/document.

For example, if I have John Smith and he has a birth event which I've cited to a birth certificate copy as the source and I've linked a scan of that birth certificate to the source, when I make John's person report, I'd like to have not just the source listed but the image of the birth certificate.
      Reunion handles images in sources differently than images for people. So, in your report example, a link to the image will appear in the sources; but the image itself doesn't appear "inline," so to speak, in the list of sources.
      Frank Leister
      Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Herb, thank you. I do add documents via the plus button. I don't drag them in.

Frank, I found what you suggested and have set that flag on (see attached) but when I generate the Safari site, I can't find any document images. I'm attaching the screenshot of the setting. I think I have it correct and there are some images related to the sources so I can't figure out what I've done wrong. Do these documents have to live in Dropbox where the Reunion family file is? I have them on the local computer I'm on and can access them no problem from within the Reunion app on my computer. Thank you.
        Attached Files

Comment

Do these documents have to live in Dropbox where the Reunion family file is? I have them on the local computer I'm on and can access them no problem from within the Reunion app on my computer.
          The images don't have to be in Dropbox. If you can access them in Reunion (without seeing a red question mark), then they should be fine.

You probably already do this, but just to be sure... Is the Include > Sources button checked when you select Reports > Person Sheet?

report-include-sources.jpg

If so, then a link to the image should appear on the Sources page of the web output, as in this example.

clair-ferster-source-mm-file.jpg
          Frank Leister
          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

That worked this time. I don't know what I was doing wrong. Thank you so much. And, just to be clear, when I export to Microsoft Word, it's not an option to include the files so I just get the sources list, right? Because there are no hyperlinks in Word.

Comment

...just to be clear, when I export to Microsoft Word, it's not an option to include the files so I just get the sources list, right?
              That's correct.

Frank Leister
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Frank -

perhaps you can help me. Sort of along the lines of this discussion I have thousands of multimedia items I want to export to Ancestry.com by exporting a GEDCOM from Reunion and importing it into Ancestry.com (via the FTM route). Each of the multimedia items is attached to a source. But essentially none (or very few) are attached to a person (if only I knew when I started I should have attached all multimedia to a person, as well as linking it to a Source).

From Reunion's Help file:

************************************************** **********************************

Multimedia in GEDCOM files

Reunion supports the GEDCOM tag "OBJE" for importing and exporting links to multimedia items. This includes multimedia items linked to person, family, and source records.

************************************************** **********************************
                The implication here is that one can export multimedia linked to Sources. Exporting my GEDCOM into FTM shows that the multimedia linked to Sources (the citations) did, in fact, find their way into my new family file on FTM. BUT... they all reside in a huge bucket of multimedia, not linked to anything (as far as I can tell). Is there any way of which you are aware to link each of the multimedia items to a person - to the person that has the Source that is linked to the multimedia in question?

When the file makes its way into Ancestry, the Sources are all correctly shown linked to the appropriate person - but none of the multimedia for the sources show up linked to anything.

What I want to avoid is having to go back through all my my multimedia (literally thousands) and linking each directly to a person.

Thanks for your help.
                Last edited by cponeill; 23 December 2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X