Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree-like Web output

Hello everyone,

After tons of research and data collection, I’m finally ready to do another round of data Exports and sharing, including a web site. I probably have not done a web export in about 10 years.

One of the main issues I had with “web” back in the day was the restrictive view, only showing 3 generations, and even then only one generation of photos. I was very happy that over the years Reunion added a Tree view into the app itself that addresses some of that same need internally. And Ancestry also has a nice tree view. And in fact, it’s the only way to go nowadays. More data, a bigger view, at your fingertips.

And now I have purchased Reunion 13. When I did the web export, it looks almost identical to what it did years back. And I’m not seeing any new controls or formatting options. Other than just academic navigation, this isn’t going to cut it. Screens are bigger, expectations are higher. I have a lot of people who have contributed to this project and they deserve a nice looking display.

Is there another web view that I may be missing?

As a side note, I have tried working with Ancestry, and have found the navigation, permissions, UI, incomplete imports and exports exasperating. I thought maybe I could use it to solve the web display issue, but not with these issues. Is there another 3rd party solution you can suggest for web presentation to which I could export from Reunion, assuming Reunion doesn’t have something better natively that I don’t know about?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
    Dave Kitabjian

Nobody??
    Dave Kitabjian

Comment

Originally posted by reggoboy View Post
      Is there another 3rd party solution you can suggest for web presentation to which I could export from Reunion, assuming Reunion doesn’t have something better natively that I don’t know about?
      TNG - http://tngsitebuilding.com/ - has some clever tree views available...

and play around with the various tabs for descendants, ancestors etc

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I too am a little surprised and disappointed that Reunion's web publishing tools haven't advanced. There aren't many options for publishing, and the sites that are generated look like they're for days gone by — viewed on a desktop computer, the family cards are tiny, as if they were designed for screens with far fewer pixels than we're now used to. The maximum width of preferred photos in the body of a web report is 125 pixels (!) and the maximum width of photos in media pages is 795 pixels, which is tiny by modern web standards. (My iMac screen is 5120x2880 pixels.) People want to be able to see sharp images. Like you said, "Screens are bigger, expectations are higher. I have a lot of people who have contributed to this project and they deserve a nice looking display."

I agree that Ancestry's tree view is helpful but it's pretty clunky for doing anything other than seeing that family view.

Comment

Working...
        X