Questions from a Reunion beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions from a Reunion beginner

I am currently trying Reunion via the free trial in demo mode. My main trees are in Ancestry and I currently use FTM 2019 to download my Ancestry trees to work offline or to make changes that I do not want to appear in the Ancestry trees. I find FTM very limiting and do not like that the user interface and work space cannot be changed. Reunion has been great and I am enjoying the ability to customize the work space to my liking.

A couple beginner questions that I could not find answers to the online manual/user guide and am hoping to gain knowledge from experienced Reunion users:

1) I have some pictures that have relatives on both my maternal and paternal sides of the family. Is the best way to bring the pictures into Reunion by making the pictures a family picture for both my maternal side and also making them a family picture on the paternal side as well--creating 2 separate links for each side of the family or is there a better way to do it?

2) When trying to crop a picture and make a face the "preferred picture" for an individual, I notice that I end up with thumbnails that are different sizes. Is there a way to make the crop so that the thumbnails of the referred picture are the same size in both family and tree views?

3) What is the best way to download my Ancestry trees and import the trees into Reunion (with the least amount of clean-up work)? It seems I could export my Ancestry trees as gedcom files and import the gedcom files into Reunion. Another option would be to use FTM to download the Ancestry trees which would include the photos, documents and sources that are currently in my Ancestry trees. Then use FTM to create a gedcom file and import the FTM gedcom into Reunion. Since I am using Reunion in demo mode I am not able to test which is the best way to proceed. Any suggestions.

Thanks for your help and assistance.

GDV

With respect to 1) and 2) — as I think you know, Reunion does not copy the picture, but creates a link. There is no reason why you should not have it make such a link in two or more places: one often does, and you can crop them differently, as you know. The size of the thumbnail seen in Family View, and that seen in Tree View (or a Chart) are each determined by what fits in that layout. You don't really want them all the same. I think Reunion is pretty good at handling these matters, but if you want more control, you might try cropping and otherwise improving the pictures in separate image-handling software such as Pixelmator. You would in that case save and use different images for different purposes, and could adjust the size: though of course if you make more pixels, you lose definition.

I don't know much about 3).
    Last edited by Michael Talibard; 10 November 2020, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Michael, thanks for the information. GDV

Comment

Originally posted by gdv View Post
        3) What is the best way to download my Ancestry trees and import the trees into Reunion (with the least amount of clean-up work)? It seems I could export my Ancestry trees as gedcom files and import the gedcom files into Reunion. Another option would be to use FTM to download the Ancestry trees which would include the photos, documents and sources that are currently in my Ancestry trees. Then use FTM to create a gedcom file and import the FTM gedcom into Reunion. Since I am using Reunion in demo mode I am not able to test which is the best way to proceed. Any suggestions.
        Using FTM as the intermediary would be the best way to achieve this, especially if you have a lot of media attached on your Ancestry tree.

Yes, there'll probably be some struggles with getting everything into Reunion cleanly, and there could well be some cleanup needed, but the work to do that will be less than the work required to download and relink all the media items if you have a lot of them.

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Roger, thanks for your suggestions. I was leaning to using FTM as an intermediary and your post confirmed that approach would work best. Thanks for your help. GDV

Comment

I did purchase FTM recently to use as an intermediary for downloading my Ancestry tree to Reunion12. It took a while for the media files to fully load in FTM but seem complete now.
            My question is: Should I make a duplicate Reunion tree before importing the FTM gedcom? I know there are mistakes in FTM because my Ancestry tree is sloppy and not fully proven. I will not want to merge everything.
            Thank you.
            Barbara

Comment

Yes, create the GEDCOM file from FTM and then import that into a new empty Reunion file. Then you can take a look through it to make sure everything is as expected.

Then you can import that into your current Reunion file if that's what you want to do. Or import parts of it into Reunion if you already have a comprehensive Reunion file.

Roger
              Roger Moffat

Comment

Thank you, Roger. I didn't think of importing the FTM GEDCOM into an empty Reunion file. I do have a pretty comprehensive Reunion file with family photos and notes. I don't want to damage that. I will probably only want to import parts of FTM. I hope that the technique for importing "parts" will be evident...

Comment

So import the Family Tree Maker GEDCOM file into a new empty Reunion file.

Then in that file find the people you want to import into your main file, and Mark them

Then in your Main file, choose to import a Reunin file, and when you've navigated to it choose "Marked People Only" (or whatever it says is similar to that).

Remember - make a copy of your main file before you do the import.

Roger
                  Roger Moffat

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
                    So import the Family Tree Maker GEDCOM file into a new empty Reunion file.

Then in that file find the people you want to import into your main file, and Mark them

Then in your Main file, choose to import a Reunin file, and when you've navigated to it choose "Marked People Only" (or whatever it says is similar to that).

Remember - make a copy of your main file before you do the import.

Roger
                    Roger:

This sounds like a very effective way to rationalize trees between FTM/Ancestry and Reunion. Like many, I allowed the FTM/Ancestry "accept hints" function get away from me. Now I need to get that data verified and under control within Reunion.

Grant
                    ``````````````````````````````
                    Grant

Comment

Working...
                    X