Editing Boxes in Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing Boxes in Charts

Three issues have arisen since upgrading to Reunion 13 (and saving and editing charts as Reunion 13 charts):

1. I appreciate all the new options for selecting categories of text within boxes from the Text Mode button, but one that seems to be missing is the former Line 1 Only option. Is there a setting I can select to get that back?

2. Whenever I try to update the information in a box by choosing Update from Family File, the font and size settings for the box automatically change from where I want and have set them. How can I get this to stop happening? Sometimes when this occurs, I cannot even select the box and then (successfully) choose the appropriate button in order to restore the size (or bold) setting that I want -- the command just won't take. In the end, I need to forgo using Update from Family File and simply double-click inside the box and update the text manually in order to leave my size, etc., the way I want them.

3. Previously, when I chose Add Box, although Reunion by default treated the new person as an additional child of the box selected, I could nevertheless essentially turn the new box into an additional spouse, rather than an additional child, by choosing the style of Spouse line I wanted (by choosing the appropriate spouse line from the Line button in the Tool Panel). But now when I add a box and then select it, the spouse lines are no longer an option under that button at all. (Spouse lines continue to be available in spouse boxes that were created in the chart as a spouse in the first place.) Is there a way to replicate what I was able to do before?

Thanks very much.

1. You're probably going to have to use the Primary Name Line to do any style edits on the Line 1 Only.

2. I'm not seeing this, but again, I may not be taking the same path to the problem you are. One thing to try is to set defaults manually. After you've get the box settings the way you like them, make sure one of the boxes is selected, and then choose from the main menu Object > Save Default Box attributes. I'm thinking that doing the update from family file might be bringing the box settings back to the original default, and manually setting the default might keep that from happening.

3. I've always found the line settings in the toolbar a little confusing in the past. I think they might be a little more straightforward in Reunion 13. The way I see it, if you want to convert an added (child) box to an additional marriage box, it's simple enough to configure the child box connecting line to the appearance of a spouse line. Simply select the child box, find the line position that looks the closest to the spouse line positions, and change the width and color to match. (You might need to be at 100% viewing scale or larger to see the line you're working with.)

One new feature of Reunion 13 is that this individually edited line should keep its appearance even if the line settings are changed globally in the main menu's Tree > Lines settings.
    Last edited by ttl; 02 November 2020, 10:16 AM.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Thanks, Tim! The problem I'm having with the spouse line in the added box isn't really the width and color; it's the position. For example, a "normal" spouse box, using the Horizontal Top style for the spouse line, looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.18.53 PM.png
      but an added box, treated as a new child, defaults to this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.20.02 PM.png
      If I add a picture to the second box (if I have one), I can get to this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.30.44 PM.png
      where the connecting line is near the vertical center of the box, but never near the top of the box, as with all the other spouses in my chart. How can I get the new box to look consistent with all the others? (I have tried choosing each of the line styles offered as options under the Line button [Horizontal Uniform, etc.], but none of them replicate what the Horizontal Top style for spouse boxes does.) Thanks!!

Comment

Tim,

Just wanted to let you know that with respect to my second question above, I have now determined that when the text box includes two spouses, Updating from Family File doesn't affect the font/size settings for the box, but when the box includes just a single (unmarried/unpartnered) person, then Updating from Family File changes the font and size settings as described -- and they cannot be changed back, even by selecting the box and trying to use the Tool Panel. By the way, Saving the Default Box attributes doesn't seem to help. The only workaround is to forgo Updating from Family File (for married couples) and making any changes manually.

Thanks again for all your help,
        Robert

Comment

Sorry I wasn't able to solve the problem.
          Tim Lundin
          Heartland Family Graphics
          http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Not at all, I appreciate your efforts!!

Comment

Working...
            X