Linking non-relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linking non-relatives

Very excited about being able to link people - I want to link witnesses on certificates (birth, marriage, death) - they are often clues to more relatives.
    What I can't find in a browse of the manual is how to actually do it....

Say I create an entry for George ASHDOWN, and his death certificate states the informant is Fred SMITH. I can create two people entries using Edit->Add Unrelated Person but how do I now link these two people?

Found it (in the manual under changes in v13).

You drag Fred SMITH from the People bar into the memo field on George's record, add some text if required. Then click on the link that appears and edit the relationship.

Now George has some text that reads:
    Witness (death certificate) was Thomas RICHARDS (friend).
    Clicking on the link brings up a quick view of Thomas.

This is an awesome feature for documenting these connections which appear in certificates - Thank you.

Comment

Just to re-iterate: this feature works in all text fields which are fully free-form: an individual's Notes; Logs; the free-form field of Sources; and (not mentioned in the manual) in the Notes section of relationships.

It is useful in my mind when you have someone's obituary text from the web. You can hot-link people, eg. remaining relatives, from this obituary. For all other cases, though, you have to add Notes to a person for this particular purpose.

It is a shame, though, this works only in the free-form fields - it would be waaay more useful if this feature were extended to the memo fields of Events or Facts, so that it becomes possible to directly link linked people to the Event or Fact, without resorting to round-about ways like Notes...
      --
      Eric Van Beest
      Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

Working...
      X