problem with fan chart dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with fan chart dates

I want to populate the fan chart records (people) with birth-death dates. The problem is that I have a genealogical database from French colleagues who have used custom French-language labels for birth date and death date fields, i.e., Nais for Birth and Décès for Death.

REUNION appears to populate the fan charts with birth-death data from default fields in the database labelled Birth and Death and it cannot extract these data from the custom fields. I tried to populate fan chart records using an English-language database, and it works just fine. The problem is trying to work with custom fields labelled in non-English languages.

Do any of you have a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance to all and any for your assistance.

Hi Peter,

You'll need to move the data from those custom fields to the default fields. Go to:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Fields, Move, Person Fields

And use the options there to move the data from their custom fields to the defaults.

FWIW (I assume here they are also using Reunion) it sounds like they added their own custom fields instead of either renaming the existing Birth/Death fields or using the French translation. If they had done either of the latter, then the data should've been in the right place when you opened the file.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

That worked Mark. Thanks for your help. It would be nice if I could give the "Birth" and "Death" labels in the Family View their equivalent French names, but I don't think that's possible. Yes, the original database was generated in REUNION with custom fields. I am sharing this database with French colleagues, and our working language is French, which is why I'd like to have all fields labeled in that language. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Armitage View Post
        It would be nice if I could give the "Birth" and "Death" labels in the Family View their equivalent French names....
        The labels used in the Family View can be changed -- go to:

Reunion -> Preferences..., Fields, Person, Events

And select the event you want (e.g Birth) in the list at left, then, under Abbreviation in the settings at center, change Long to the French equivalent.

You can also rename the field itself by double-clicking on it in the list on the left, but that won't change the label in the Family View.

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
        X