Changing the relationship of an individual in the database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the relationship of an individual in the database

This may be difficult to explain.. . but I will try.
    I have an entry in my database of a man and a women who had a child together but they are not married. The way it is entered, the women is shown as his spouse. I would like to change that so that it does not show her as the spouse but maintains the relationship as parents of the child. I assume that there is a way to do that, but I have not been able to find it. Thank you.

Try this...

Go to their family view, where they are shown in the center and their child is under them in the Children area of the family view.

Then, choose Edit -> Family -> Marriage and select "Unmarried" from the "Marriage" menu.

Afterward, Unmarried will appear in the marriage button where the marriage date and place usually appear.

I hope you find this information helpful
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you.. That is a partial solution.
      That shows that the couple is "Unmarried" in the family view, but the woman is still tagged as "Spouse". Since she is not and has never been the spouse of the man, this is still incorrect.
      How can I change the term "Spouse" to something more appropriate. And if it is relevant to the solution, The male in this case is and has been married to another women..
      Thanks in advance for a quick response.

Comment

Originally posted by Harley View Post
        Thank you.. That is a partial solution...
        How can I change the term "Spouse" to something more appropriate.
        This cannot be changed. It is set by Reunion.

But, I will add a suggestion to our wish list to consider adjusting the term when the couple is unmarried. As with all items on our wish list, I cannot promise when or if it will be implemented. However, I can promise it will be considered by our engineers/programmers.
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Harley View Post
          ...The male in this case is and has been married to another women...
          That relationship can be added in Reunion, if you wish. Just add the woman as a "second spouse" to the man, by clicking the "plus" sign above the father's box and selecting "Add New Spouse". The father's child will only show up in the Family View with the (unmarried) mother of the child.

Steve Thomas
          iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

I have this situation too. The solution suggested by thomprod still shows both parents as 'spouses' Please have the technicians/programmers fix this so that a child can have two parents but not have the spouse tag. It is extremely distressing to have this showing as there are a number of distressing situations that can result in a child when no relationship ever existed. Additionally in this day and age some genealogists will begin dealing with sperm and egg donors where the identity of the donor is known yet there was no relationship and definitely were never 'spouses'
            Last edited by mummamianana; 10 May 2023, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X