Best place to add URLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place to add URLs

I have recently come back to Reunion and intend to make it my main focus for building the family history. So I will probably upgrade to Reunion 13, but I would just like to sort out a few issues I have before proceeding. In the past, I would upload a new GEDCOM to Reunion from FTM 2019, which I had previously synced with Ancestry. This used to work quite well, but not so much now, as increasingly data is missing. This is not a Reunion issue. FTM just doesn't synch with Ancestry as it did earlier (FTM 2017 I think.) I was hoping Ancestry would let Reunion synch, but it doesn't look like that will happen.
    One of the 'sources' that doesn't sync is URLs/Web Links. I use these a lot in Ancestry. Partly because their method of creating a new source is so long winded.
    For a URL in Reunion, I can't see an obvious place to put them. Any suggestions? I have URLs for all sorts of things from books, to genealogy providers like FamilySearch and Find My Past, to obscure history sites etc. Sometimes the link would be to a Source not found anywhere else, and sometimes it is just adding background colour to the person's record.
    I'd like them to be somewhere easily visible so that I am aware I have potential useful information for that individual. But if I put them in Notes which are visible in Family View, that will sometimes involve a lot of scrolling. Maybe I need to start creating separate Notes.

Because Reunion is so flexible you have the ability to insert URLs any where that works for you. And you can insert the same URL in multiple places.

For example: I have inserted a URL into a source citation. But I have also inserted it into notes and in the memo field of Events. There is no wrong way. What ever works for you and makes it easy to find and remind yourself of the link. But links can be transitory. I prefer to copy the page into a new document and create a new source that I can store on my hard drive.

But if you want to use URLs as a pointer to sources you find in Ancestry instead of building a source and citations its possible that Ancestry source could disappear in the future. Or maybe it wont't.

Grant
    ``````````````````````````````
    Grant

Comment

Thanks Grant. That’s a good point about links and/sources disappearing. Ideally I’d make a new source. Sometimes though, I do just use them as pointer, especially to National websites.. It takes forever to create a new source in Ancestry. I haven’t tried it it yet in Reunion!

Comment

Working...
      X