Generation numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generation numbers

I'm pretty familiar with the "Find" function in Reunion and the process of putting Find results in a list and adding additional columns of information, but there's one bit of information I can't seem to find. I'd like to generate a list that shows all the descendants of a person and what generation of descendancy they are. (i.e. root person is generation 1, kids are generation 2, grandkids generation 3,...). I can create the desired list of people easy enough but haven't found a way to number the generations. Even if I could get the relationship names in the List window, I could probably export and write some script to convert the name to a generation number. The "List - Relatives" windows does list relationships but isn't restricted by the Find window. Any ideas on how to do this? Thank you!
    Last edited by RoverDave; 30 September 2020, 04:40 PM.

At the bottom of the Relatives List is the Gear icon for Settings. You can limit the window to Descendants.

Comment

Thanks. I didn't know that, but it doesn't do what I'm looking for. I'd like to get the generation number (or relation name as a substitute) as a column in the List window so it can be exported like any other data and programmatically analyzed like any other piece of data. The Relatives window uses the relation as a category header instead of a column, so you can't really do anything with it after exporting unless you do a lot of hand work.

Comment

Ah, I figured it out. You have to use the numbering feature and number all the descendants of the root person. Then you can include the descendant number as a column in the List - Results window and export it. The generation number can be determined by the format of the descendant number (i.e. the number of segments it has.) Additionally, numbering allows you to include the "Generation Prefix" as part of the descendant number, so you get the generation directly.

Comment

Working...
        X