New iPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New iPhone

Bought new Iphone but noticed it has 38167 people. iPad, MacBook Air and eMac all has 38201. All are connected to Dropbox.Too many to try and locate person by person! Why doesn't Dropbox sync iPhone?

Are you paying extra? Dropbox has a 3 device limit for free account.
    Have you deleted the file on the iPhone and reinstalled?
    Either one could be your problem.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by Sully2004 View Post
      Bought new Iphone but noticed it has 38167 people. iPad, MacBook Air and eMac all has 38201.
      Are you certain you connected to the same Dropbox account as the one you're using on your other devices, and are you certain you downloaded the same family file as is being used on the other devices?

Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
        Are you paying extra? Dropbox has a 3 device limit for free account.
        Have you deleted the file on the iPhone and reinstalled?
        Either one could be your problem.
        Sully: What we are saying is that you have four devices and the free account only allows three devices. If you want the iPhone to sync, you need to "disconnect" one of the other three from your Dropbox account. Upgrading the account is not pretty. The first paid level is nearly $10 a month and gives one two terabytes of storage. And no device limit. That's way too expensive just to add a fourth device.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Problem is 3 device limit. Thanks, Bob White. Three is all I need anyway!!! If I delete it on my iPad , willl it be automatically updated on the iPhone?

Comment

Should be, but to be sure, delete & re-download the family file on your iPhone.
            rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by Sully2004 View Post
              Problem is 3 device limit. Thanks, Bob White. Three is all I need anyway!!! If I delete it on my iPad , willl it be automatically updated on the iPhone?
              Actually, you don't necessarily need to delete the app. Technically, Dropbox counts the devices signed in to the account. So you could just sign out on the iPad and sign in on the iPhone. Whatever data is in the iPad Dropbox app will just stay static and not be synched any longer. And you could do things like, for example, you are going on vacation for a week, so you could sign out on the eMac and sign in on the iPad then reverse that when you get back home.

Note: If you go to you Dropbox page on the web, look in the Settings part and you can find out specifically which devices are currently signed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post

Note: If you go to you Dropbox page on the web, look in the Settings part and you can find out specifically which devices are currently signed in.
                Funny, when I go to Settings>Security>Devices, I'm told 1 iPhone, and 2 iMacs are linked but I only have ONE iMac! I wonder why it has it listed twice?

Dennis B. Swaney
                Prescott, AZ

MacOS 10.13.6; MacOS 12.6; iOS 16; iPadOS 12 & 16

Comment

Originally posted by romad View Post

Funny, when I go to Settings>Security>Devices, I'm told 1 iPhone, and 2 iMacs are linked but I only have ONE iMac! I wonder why it has it listed twice?
                  Are you signed in from two different accounts? Remember, it's counting accounts -- not actual devices.

An example that I can dream up where one might have two accounts signed in is, let's say, a person was signed in from abc@xyz.com, something happened to that account and now the same person has signed in from their new address abc@mno.com and both sign ins were from the same iMac... Solution is to go into Dropbox and delete the abc account.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post

Are you signed in from two different accounts? Remember, it's counting accounts -- not actual devices.
                    AFAIK, I only have 1 dropbox account and that uses my Dot Mac address.

However Dropbox has these listed as linked even though they are the same iMac:
                    -Intel-iMac.local and Intel iMac If I try to delete either one I'm told my iMac will no longer sync to Dropbox.

That said, I can add more devices such as my MacBook Air, my MacBook Pro, and my iPad in addition to the 3 currently listed as long as I use the Dot Mac email address to log in, corre
                    Dennis B. Swaney
                    Prescott, AZ

Comment

Another possibility is that you have changed your Mac and not deleted the old one from Settings>Security>Devices. AFAIK an old machine will still be listed until you do this. You are limited (at least on the basic membership) to three devices.
                      Click on the little information button to check this. The bin will delete an old one.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hill View Post
                        Another possibility is that you have changed your Mac and not deleted the old one from Settings>Security>Devices. AFAIK an old machine will still be listed until you do this. You are limited (at least on the basic membership) to three devices.
                        Click on the little information button to check this. The bin will delete an old one.
                        As I said before, this is the SAME iMac I've been using for the last few years.

Now you are saying the limit is three (3) DEVICES (which is what I believed) but Bob says it is limited to three (3) ACCOUNTS, so which is it? I have only ONE account and only ONE iMac yet Dropbox says I have TWO iMacs! They say I logged into DP in 2019 with my Mid-2011 Intel iMac and a couple of days ago with the same Mid-2011 Intel iMac. That is what is confusing.

Hmmm, I did upgrade my harddrive from 500GB to 1TB a few months ago, could this be the reason? Though why DP would care what size drive is in the iMac, I don't know.
                        Dennis B. Swaney
                        Prescott, AZ

Comment

John is referring to the settings at the Dropbox site.....
                          Attached Files

Comment

Now you are saying the limit is three (3) DEVICES (which is what I believed) but Bob says it is limited to three (3) ACCOUNTS, so which is it?
                            It is three devices but I think being signed in from two email addresses on one devices may fool dropbox into thinking they're separate devices.

Comment

Originally posted by A Hougie View Post
                              It is three devices but I think being signed in from two email addresses on one devices may fool dropbox into thinking they're separate devices.
                              It is three accounts that pick up the device name from the device when it logs in for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                              X