Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transferring a branch of my tree to a different ancestor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring a branch of my tree to a different ancestor.

I recently started using Reunion again and discovered that one branch of the tree was attached to the wrong ancestor. While it is easy to transfer a single person through the clip board, how would you transfer an entire misplaced branch?

Just as easy---Just change the parent(s) of the wrong branch to the correct ones. Everyone 'under' him will follow.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

I don't think that would work. I would have to change all of the ancestors of the parent that I would have to change. We are talking about six generations of names. I have been using MyHeritage lately, and you can move the entire branch by moving one person and all of the descendants of that person move with him/her.

Comment

Originally posted by froimowitz View Post
        ...you can move the entire branch by moving one person and all of the descendants of that person move with him/her.
        You can do this in Reunion.

For example, if you have someone linked as the child of a set of parents that they don't belong to, you can navigate to the parents in the Family View and drag the person in question from the Children portion of the Family View into the Clipboard sidebar. That will unlink them from the incorrect parents while maintaining their links to others (e.g. spouses, children, etc.).

Then, you would navigate to the correct parents in the Family View and drag the person in question from the Clipboard sidebar into the Children portion of the Family View to add them as a child of the correct parents. Their links to spouses, children, etc. will be moved with them.

Without knowing more details about the situation in your case (how the entries are currently connected, how they should be connected, etc.), I can't provide specific instructions. But, the key is to drag the entry from where they shouldn't appear (e.g. as the child of a set of parents) in the Family View to the Clipboard sidebar, then from that sidebar to the appropriate place.

I'd recommend reading the "Correcting Mistakes" entry in the manual, it can be found on the Contents page (Help -> Contents) under "Adding, Linking, & Removing People" (in the left column).

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks. It seems to have worked.

Comment

I think I told you essentially what Mark explained in far greater detail. Glad it worked out for you.
            rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Working...
            X