Where to publish Web Project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to publish Web Project?

I would like to use Web Cards to create a password-protected site to share with relatives. I did this a few years ago, renting a domain to do so, but ultimately took it down after having security issues that led to a relative that was very unhappy that her info had been publicly findable. I'd like to give it another try, but am uncertain where to go. I like the idea of genealogy-oriented solutions such as TNG, but these work from a GEDCOM, which does not seem practical from Reunion. Whenever I've experimented with GEDCOM, I'm unable to get certain things to export. Most significantly, the Notes field, where the meat of my research is contained, in the form of short narrative entries for pretty much everybody. So, I'd like to work from the Web Cards, which do seem to export everything as I need it to be. Any suggestions as to good places to host would be appreciated.

I used to publish from Dropbox until they dropped support for websites. Recently, I loaded the Reunion export (Reports --> web project) to Dropbox and sent that link to relatives to download to their desktop with instructions to open the index.html file. It works fine, but understand it's a snapshot file. When I make a lot of updates to a family file (I have three family folders) I replace the original folder. I don't know how this will work over time, but it's a solution.

Comment

Good suggestion on Dropbox, at least for the most trusted relatives. I'd like a solution that also works for my "genealogy cousins," that I wouldn't want to let copy the whole shebang. Since my original post, I've started experimenting with TNG (https://tngsitebuilding.com/), which seems quite sophisticated. However, I despair of getting it to import everything properly via GEDCOM. I know there are some here that really like it, though. The Web Cards option in Reunion seems pretty flawless in getting everything where it should be, even if you have far fewer options, including making changes on the fly.

Comment

I publish those that are not living. Those that are living show up, but they appear with only first initial and last name only. I use a flag "living" to filter in the Privacy Preferences. This technique is widely used and works well. I agree that Gedcom is not very useful and why I don't use it.

Comment

Working...
        X