Lost all multimedia links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost all multimedia links

I seem to have lost my multimedia links. I think this happened when I went from the iPhoto app to the Photos app. When I click on an image, I get a small window where it spends five minutes searching for the image, but never finds it. I have tried clicking on the "Repair Multimedia Links" in the Multimedia preferences, but it also couldn't find most of the photos..

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Dan

Hi Dan,

Do you, by any chance, still have a copy of the old iPhoto Library? It would be in your Pictures folder.

If you don't have it in that folder, is there any chance you have a backup of it (e.g. via Time Machine) from before the conversion to Photos?

Thanks,
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Yes I have copies of it in Time Machine.

Dan

Comment

Ok - please try restoring the iPhoto Library to the Pictures folder on your Mac, then run the Repair Multimedia Links... function in Reunion. Note that you will need to keep the iPhoto Library in your Pictures folder, or else the multimedia links will be "lost" again.

HTH
        Mark Harrison

Comment

I also lost more than half of my multimedia links. Is it ok to keep Reunion Pictures in Documents? That way they also get backed up into iCloud.
          Susanne
          Last edited by sweeneysb; 14 September 2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

The photos still seem to be in my Photo Library but they disappeared from the Reunion Pictures Folder. I had to replace my computer because I had problems with my old one. In the ‘restore media links window’ the box ‘search iPhoto’ is checked but I have Photo Library. My Reunion 12 app is up to date. I may just have to go down the list of 202 missing links that I printed out and search for the photos one by one in my Photo Library. Any suggestions?
            Susanne

Comment

Hi Susanne,

Originally posted by sweeneysb View Post
              I may just have to go down the list of 202 missing links....
              This is what you'll need to do if the photos only exist in the Photos app/Library. Reunion won't link to images in there to avoid potential issues should Apple decide to change up the format of that database (as they've done in the past, for example, with the switch from iPhoto to Photos). When you drag an image from Photos into Reunion, Reunion makes a copy of it in your Imported Media folder and links to that.

Is it ok to keep Reunion Pictures in Documents? That way they also get backed up into iCloud.
              I would not recommend keeping anything related to Reunion - photos, family files, etc. -- in iCloud. Reunion is not designed to work with iCloud.

If you want to have a backup, I'd recommend getting an external drive and using Time Machine to make regular backups.

HTH
              Mark Harrison

Comment

Thank you, Mark!
                Once I moved the missing link photos into the Reunion Pictures folder in Pictures, I’ll copy the Reunion pictures to a flash drive. I do back up my computer to an external hard drive but I don‘t know how to retrieve the Reunion Pictures folder from that.
                Can I also copy my Reunion database to a flash drive to give to my kids for safe keeping?
                Susanne

Comment

Working...
                X