open two copies of the tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open two copies of the tree

At some stage I have managed to duplicate in whole or in part a lot of entries, some of which have been deleted, but in other cases as best I can describe it constitute islands of mini-trees. A lot of the people in the tree have huge Notes fields, with enough biographical info for fill more than one 64k field.

My question really falls into two parts:
    1 What is the best way to deleted duplicate entries, preferably removing them from the clipboard so they don't appear in searches. I think I need to do it person by person without deleting the parents/siblings/children as I need to examine the notes Fields for the latter to make sure nothing gets lost.

2 In order to achieve the second part of the above is there any way to open two copies of the tree so I can see them side-by-side as in this screen grab. In theory OSX allows this, but Reunion does not, so is it possible to convert my file to an earlier version so I can run both versions? Oh, where can I get R11, which I did not keep.

Or perhaps there is a better way of getting out of this mess, not to mention the cousin who seems to have married his mother!

My problem arises from doing a huge amount of biographical research, but not putting it into Reunion often enough to remain familiar with it ...

Cheers,

Colin

Attached Files

Originally posted by colinc View Post
    1 What is the best way to deleted duplicate entries...
    Probably the simplest way to delete an entry that you're 100% certain you want to delete (this can't be undone) is to select the entry in the People sidebar, then select:

File -> Delete -> Selected Person...

Or press Command+Delete on your keyboard.

2 In order to achieve the second part of the above is there any way to open two copies of the tree so I can see them side-by-side as in this screen grab.
    You could create a copy of the family file (File -> Save a Backup Copy...), then open the backup as well as the original (use File -> Open... to open the second file). You don't need to run more than one copy of the Reunion application to accomplish this.

...is it possible to convert my file to an earlier version so I can run both versions?
    The only way to do that would be to export a GEDCOM from 12 and import that GEDCOM into 11.

Oh, where can I get R11, which I did not keep.
    You can download 11 here:

But, I think it'd be simpler to just create a second copy of the file and open that along with the original to view them side-by-side. You will, of course, need to be careful to keep the two files straight when they're both open.

​​​​​​​HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
    X