Annotations in PDF attached to source do not appear in ReunionTouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annotations in PDF attached to source do not appear in ReunionTouch

I received several emails concerning the burial of my great-grandfather. I assembled them into one document, converted it to a PDF, annotated the PDF with some notes, then attached the document to a source. This was done a couple of weeks ago (plenty of time to upload to DropBox).

When I open the document through the source in Reunion, the annotations are there. When I open the document through the source in ReunionTouch, the annotations are not there.

I have rebuilt thumbnails, checked the sharing status, and re-downloaded the file on the device. Still no annotations on the image on the device (iPhone). Any suggestions or is this known behavior?

Edit: for spelling
    Last edited by Blaise A. Darveaux; 28 July 2020, 06:20 PM.

It used to be the iOS PDF viewer couldn't display PDF annotations, maybe that limitation is still present.
    Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

I have just tried putting the PDF with annotations in DropBox and viewing it on my iPhone. The annotations show when I do that, but not when they are viewed in ReunionTouch.

Comment

Hi Blaise,

What application are you using to add the annotations to the PDF file? And could you outline the process you use?

Also, did you add the document to Reunion after making the annotations or was the PDF modified after it had already been linked to in Reunion?

Thanks,
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Hi Blaise,

What application are you using to add the annotations to the PDF file? And could you outline the process you use?

Also, did you add the document to Reunion after making the annotations or was the PDF modified after it had already been linked to in Reunion?

Thanks,
          Thanks Mark,

I am using Preview.

I had several emails about the same event. From Mail I saved two emails as PDF (these two emails contains all the conversation that I needed for the source). Then I opened both in Preview and dragged the chronologically second email to make additional pages in the first. Then I added text annotations in the left hand margin to indicate the order of the responses in the back-and-forth discussion to make it easier to reconstruct later. Saved the file to desktop. Re-titled it with the source number. Added it to my folder of source images. Then dragged it into the multimedia window of the source.

After closing the source window and quitting Reunion, I opened the file in Preview to make sure it all looked good. It did. Then a couple of days later I checked it out on my phone with ReunionTouch and the annotations were not there. Went back to the computer through Reunion and it looked fine. Then I rebuilt thumbnails, checked sharing status, re-downloaded to phone from DropBox. Still no annotations.

That's it.

Blaise

Comment

I have run into the problem of annotations made in Preview not showing up in other programs. My work-around is to PRINT the annotated document from Preview using PRINT>PDF>SAVE TO PDF rather than exporting to PDF. This seems to embed the annotations in the document image. The annotations will no longer be editable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence E Moore View Post
              I have run into the problem of annotations made in Preview not showing up in other programs. My work-around is to PRINT the annotated document from Preview using PRINT>PDF>SAVE TO PDF rather than exporting to PDF. This seems to embed the annotations in the document image. The annotations will no longer be editable.
              Thanks, Lawrence, that's interesting. I use the PRINT>PDF>SAVE TO PDF from Mail to make the PDFs. Then I combine the PDFs into one in Preview, add the annotations, and so on. It is weird that the annotations show up when using Reunion on the computer, but not when using ReunionTouch on the phone.

Comment

My analogy: Think of adding a sticky note to a document. With annotated PDF files, some software leaves the sticky note alone; other software removes it. If you make a xerox copy of the document with note, the note can't be removed from the copy. Printing the file to PDF (or paper) has the same effect.

Comment

I've been testing this over the past few days and can't duplicate it -- annotations are showing in ReunionTouch in all of my testing.

Could you try resetting sharing to force ReunionTouch to re-download the file and all of the thumbnails? That can be done by going to:

File -> Sharing Status...

On your Mac, and clicking Reset Sharing...

Then, open ReunionTouch and you should get an Updating... message shortly after opening your family file. Once that's done, check to see if the annotations are now showing.

HTH
                  Mark Harrison

Comment

Mark, did what you said. Still nothing.

Then I opened the PDF and made a fake annotation, saved it, checked in Reunion, it was there. Checked in ReunionTouch. Nothing.

Then I Reset Sharing again. Checked in ReunionTouch. Nothing.

Then, taking a hint from Lawrence Moore above, I opened the PDF, did the PRINT>PDF>SAVE TO PDF to make duplicate document, switched it out with the old, Reset Sharing again. Checked Reunion. All good. Checked ReunionTouch. Nothing.

Then I opened a different PDF that I had attached to a different source. Made a fake annotation, saved, and closed. Checked Reunion. It showed. Reset Sharing again. Checked ReunionTouch. It was not there.

All between these attempts, I closed out Reunion and/or ReunionTouch and waited for DropBox to do its thing before proceeding. I am out of ideas.

Thanks all,

Blaise

Comment

That is strange. No problems adding an annotation to a pdf and present on RT both on iPhone and iPad
                      See attached screen dump
                      Attached Files
                      Frans van Bodegom
                      Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Nothing is noted above. If we knew which versions of macOS, iOS, Reunion and ReunionTouch, there could possible be a clue (or maybe not) but no one has looked under that rock.
                        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Of course you are right, Bob. Been meaning to do that. So, here are the numbers:

Computer: iMac 27" 3.2 Ghz core i3
                          MacOS: High Sierra 10.13.6
                          Preview 10.0
                          Reunion 12.0 build 200602
                          iPhone: SE (one month old)
                          iOS: 13.5.1
                          ReunionTouch 1.0.15

Comment

Blaise,

Could you send some of the PDF's that are not showing annotations in ReunionTouch? Send them to help@leisterpro.com

Perhaps they will give us a clue.

Thanks,
                            -Mark
                            Mark Harrison

Comment

Working...
                            X