Can't save graphic file for chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't save graphic file for chart

I have a fan chart I call my "cheat sheet" that I have heavily edited and updated for years--it works great as a teaser to share with DNA matches. For years (and for different versions of Reunion), it has always worked great working on it in Reunion, updating, editing, etc., then saving as a TIFF file (occasionally a PDF) then sharing the link in Dropbox or emailing out the TIFF file. Now for some reason Preview can't open the updated graphic files (not TIFF or PDF).

I quit Reunion, quit Preview, restarted the laptop, etc. I get a popup message from Preview that it can't find the helper application and "Try your operation again. If that fails, quit and relaunch the application and try again." An internet search brought me to a clearing the Preview cache through the Terminal app with no luck. Help!
    Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
    Bradley Jansen
    OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

What version of Preview? Have you tried opening the TIFF/PDF in another graphics app/reader?

I was able to open the TIFF image in Preview 10 then export it to PDF which also opened in Preview 10, Acrobat reader 2020.009.20063, and Foxit Reader 4.0.0.0430. I was also able to open the TIFF in GraphicConverter 11, LibreOffice 6.4.5.2, PDFpen 11/PDFpen PRO 12.
    Dennis B. Swaney
    Prescott, AZ

MacOS 10.13.6; MacOS 12.6; iOS 16; iPadOS 12 & 16

Comment

Originally posted by romad View Post
      What version of Preview? Have you tried opening the TIFF/PDF in another graphics app/reader?
      Thanks, the root of the problem is that Reunion will not save a graphic file of the updated fan chart so I can't share my updated one. Other apps open the previously saved TIFF file. Preview version 11.0

Bradley Jansen

Comment

That is weird. When you try to save the updated chart, do you use the same file name as the previous chart? If so, have you tried an updated filename? Maybe just adding the date to the updated Chart.tiff so it becomes Chart Jul30,2020.tiff will be enough to trick Reunion to follow MacOS file updating rules. If that works, then delete the old Chart.tiff from Reunion (if possible).
        Dennis B. Swaney
        Prescott, AZ

MacOS 10.13.6; MacOS 12.6; iOS 16; iPadOS 12 & 16

Comment

It is definitely weird. It seems to be a Preview problem, but I have no idea why or how or how to fix it.

I have tried every possible way to save the updated chart (altering the name, etc.). Nothing works. Preview is telling Reunion no.
          Bradley Jansen

Comment

Just to make sure I'm clear on the situation: is Preview opening PDF/TIFF files that you previously created in Reunion without issue? And PDF/TIFF files not created by Reunion, do they open fine in Preview?

If the answer to both questions is "no" (you get the same error), this is definitely something to contact Apple Support about.

HTH
            Mark Harrison
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Just to make sure I'm clear on the situation: is Preview opening PDF/TIFF files that you previously created in Reunion without issue? And PDF/TIFF files not created by Reunion, do they open fine in Preview?

If the answer to both questions is "no" (you get the same error), this is definitely something to contact Apple Support about.

HTH
              Sorry the situation isn't clear. It is weird.

Preview will no longer open the "cheat sheet" created in Reunion that it used to open (I can open it in other programs). The real problem is that Reunion will not create a graphic file (via Preview) of the updated cheat sheet Reunion chart.

PDFs and TIFFs not created by Reunion open fine in Preview.

Preview has a problem with just this one file for some reason.
              Bradley Jansen

Comment

Hi Bradley,

Thanks for the additional information.

Could you please try saving the graphic file using:

File -> Save Graphic File...

Then send the resulting saved file to us (help@leisterpro.com)? I'd like to try opening it here to see if I get the same error.

Or is the file linked to your original post one that gives the error when you try to open it?

Thanks,
                Mark Harrison

Comment

Mark,
                  No. I'm sorry, I'm not being clear. Reunion will not save the Reunion file as a graphic file (in any format). That is the cruz of the problem.
                  Bradley Jansen

Comment

Ok, in that case could you email us the chart file?

Thanks!
                    Mark Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by B Jansen View Post
                      ................Preview will no longer open the "cheat sheet" created in Reunion...............
                      Hold the presses! What cheat sheet? Same problem as this started with or different? (Shortcuts from the manual?)

Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                      X