Changing surname spelling for multiple entries at once

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing surname spelling for multiple entries at once

I have many entries of a particular surname. When I originally entered most of them into Reunion, I used the spelling I had found in the source (microfilmed baptism or marriage church records). I later found the standard spelling is the same, but minus one character: a Maltese name spelled as "Buhagiar," not the "Buchagiar" as I currently have it. The spelling with "ch" was apparently a written attempt at the desired pronunciation for a guttural "h", such as the German pronunciation of "Bach".

Is there a way to change all instances of Buchagiar to Buhagiar? I started changing them one by one, but have 68 changes left, and would prefer to do it once and be done, if possible.

I searched the forum and the Reunion Help file, but did not see an answer to this particular question.

You can use Reunion's "Find and Replace" feature to accomplish this.

Click on Find in the navbar on the left. At the bottom of the Find panel, click the "Find and Replace..." button. In the sheet that appears, enter "Buchagiar" in the first field, "Buhagiar" in the second and choose "Last Names" in the "Where" popup menu. To be extra safe, you probably want to apply to whole fields only (and perhaps apply only to marked people, if you've marked them in advance).

Of course, this won't change any occurrences of the misspelled surname in notes or elsewhere, but you can use the same method to change those, too, if you wish.
    Last edited by bmohr; 13 July 2020, 02:47 PM. Reason: Added notes note.
    Brad Mohr
    https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

Working...
    X