URLs not clickable in a report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URLs not clickable in a report

I inserted a url in some sources both in the url field and in free-form text - but when I generate a report the urls are not clickable. Am I doing something wrong?
    I get the same behavior when inserting a url into notes.

Is the report being opened in your web browser (such as Safari or Firefox)? Or, is the report one of the "book" reports available?

I'm asking because the manual says URLs will be clickable when included in books or web reports.

If the report is being opened in your word processor, that would be the reason for it not being clickable when the report opens. (However, if that is the case, a workaround is to manually make each link clickable by selecting the entire URL in the report and right-clicking (Control-clicking) on it. Then, select "Make URL," "Make Link," or something similar, from the menu that appears.)

I hope this information is helpful for you in moving forward
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thanks Deb.

I am opening it in Microsoft Word. It doesn't make sense to me that URLs aren't clickable. I can only assume its an issue on the Reunion side - I don't get this issue when exporting from other platforms into Word. I can do it manually but its quite tedious given that my current report has close to 70 urls. Let me know if I am missing something.

Comment

Eventide: Are you using Word 16? If so, this might be the answer. I regularly do a mailing, where due to sharing needs, I keep the list in Word. Up until Catalina was released, I was doing fine with the ten year old Word 11 but Catalina stopped that. Anyway.... With Word 11, I simply highlighted a bunch of addresses on the Word 11 list and dragged them into the bcc line in the new email I was composing. Oops! That no longer worked in Word 16; the group I was dragging would paste but only as plain text. Hm-m-m-m! Idea! Held down the Option key while dragging. Voila! The dragged addresses resolved correctly as email addresses.

I am sort of suspicious that if you also came from an old version of Word that you could be hitting the same wall. That being said, if this is the case, it's still not a solution for you as I am assuming that your URL's are spread out where my addresses were a list. But it could be a clue to solution.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hi Bob -

I am using version 16. My urls are mostly in sources in the URL field and sometimes in notes. If I run a person report for example, all the urls are disabled. I tried saving the report as a text file (rtf) and again, all the urls are disabled. I guess as Deb said, they only work for Books and Web Reports. So I think my options are to update them manually or use some other method to run the report.

Comment

Want to try a small experiment? Unless Microsoft made major changes in recent years... What we see (if you are displaying formatting) as a paragraph mark is really an "end of line" marker (denoting the end of a paragraph). An associated register will contain the formatting instructions for the paragraph. And when one copy/pastes or (now) option drags, the contents of the register travel with the text. That should include the "go to" instruction (unseen) that precedes the URL in your document. (In my case with the list, the contents include instead a "mail to" instruction.)

The experiment? Set a URL as its own paragraph then either copy/paste or option-drag and see what the result is. This may not work but if it does, we learn a new trick. My basis for this experiment is my thought that the "go to" instruction is lost in transition unless end of line travels.

Comment

Not sure I follow. This is what I see if I reveal the formatting in Word. But I am not sure what you mean by setting the URL as its own paragraph or where to do that.
              Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 5.08.59 PM.png

Comment

A paragraph that has only the URL and nothing else. Put it where you have been attempting just to see if you get a live link.

However, your reveal appears to be an item that was copied and pasted in its entirety from elsewhere -- as text -- thus losing any embedded instructions.

Please recognize that I am just making an intelligent guess based on many years of experience in the IT field. I am not an expert. It seems likely you will need to bite the bullet, so to speak, and liven up the URLs one at a time. You have my sympathy.

Comment

Hi Bob

That citation in the screenshot was created in reunion and exported into a word doc. (via a person report)

I have no problem creating live link using any other method. Anyhow I guess you could say I bit the bullet

Comment

Working...
                  X