Viewing preferences and the help manual at the same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewing preferences and the help manual at the same time

I just discovered that you can't have the help manual open at the same time as the preferences window. Is this by design or a bug? I sometimes consult the manual to find how to change a setting, then want to leave it open while I actually try the change in preferences.
    Steve Thomas
    iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

You can have them both open at the same time, you just can't open the preferences window when the manual is the frontmost window. Reunion has a lot of weird menu quirks like this (check out what happens to the File menu when the preferences window is frontmost, for example!).
    Brad Mohr
    https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

Which gives you this... Probably designed as such by Leister as it could create a disaster if one updates data while playing with preferences.

Attached Files
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by bmohr View Post
        You can have them both open at the same time, you just can't open the preferences window when the manual is the frontmost window.
        The reason you can't open the Preferences window when the Manual is the front-most window is because some of the settings in Preferences are specific to the family file that's open. That means that the main Reunion window of the family file you want to modify preferences for most be the front-most window, so that Reunion knows which file you're changing the preferences of.

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

The reason you can't open the Preferences window when the Manual is the front-most window is because some of the settings in Preferences are specific to the family file that's open. That means that the main Reunion window of the family file you want to modify preferences for most be the front-most window, so that Reunion knows which file you're changing the preferences of.

HTH
          That makes sense. You have to open Preferences first, then open the Manual. Since I only have one family file, you might consider a future option to allow opening the Preferences window when the Manual is the front-most window if the user checks a box saying there is only one family file. When looking up how to change a preference setting in the Manual, it would be helpful to click on a link in the Manual that would open the Preferences window to the correct page to make changes.
          Steve Thomas
          iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Working...
          X